Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Might be moving to DFW area...info please? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607326)

starryeyedgyal 11-21-2008 01:04 PM

Might be moving to DFW area...info please?

Hi mamas! DH might be stationed in the Fort Worth area. I'm feeling overwhelmed in my research. So if any of you lovely mamas could give me some info on the area I'd appreciate it so much! I'm interested in knowing about good neighborhoods, school districts, fun things to do with kids, pediatricians...everything and anything! I doubt we'll live on base...so I need the insider goods!!! :goodvibes:

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 11-21-2008 01:55 PM

Re: Might be moving to DFW area...info please?

We live in Arlington, which is right in between Dallas and Fort Worth. We love it for that reason and many others. It has a great parks and recreations system, lots of libraries, tons of schooling options and of course we have the baseball field, six flags, hurricane harbor, and the new football field as well.

starryeyedgyal 11-22-2008 02:38 PM

Thank you!!! Looks like for sure we'll be in the Fort Worth area. DD#1 will be in preschool or kindergarten...I haven't researched the birthday cutoffs for kindergarten in TX. Any suggestions for the area? Anybody?

Tiny Trousers 11-29-2008 12:24 PM

What area of Fort Worth will you be in? I think the cutoff age is September 1st in Texas. My pediatrician is in Keller (north Ft Worth), kidcarepediatrics.com is their website. We use Dr. Fricker and Dr. Gomez - both are great!

Tiny Trousers 11-29-2008 12:27 PM

Also, I know that Keller ISD does have all day kinder if the student has a parent serving in the military, speaks English as their second language, or is economically disadvantaged. Children can also qualify for half day pre-k under those circumstances. You can check out ratings of schools on greatschools.net

jillbott 11-29-2008 08:24 PM

Yes, the cutoff age for Kindergarten is 5 by Sept. 1st in Texas - I have dd#1 in Grapevine Colleyville ISD in Kindergarten this year and LOVE it. HEB(Hurst Euless Bedford)ISD is right next door and also has some great schools. Also, the are over by TCU has some great schools too and I think is closer to the base (it's west of Ft. Worth - Keller/Grapevin/Colleyville/the mid-cities or HEB area are all east and north of downtown Ft. Worth). My MIL used to teach at Pascal High School over in west Ft. Worth and they still have great programs/national merit scholars/ap classes, etc. So I would say, the Paschal HS district would be a good one to be in also. I have my 3 year old in the museum school at the Ft. Worth Museum of History and Science - it's a great one day a week program (it's only two hours a day though), but a GREAT program - they also have summer camps in the summer. The museum is under construction right now, but usually the Cowgirl museum has the kids exhibits. The Ft. Worth zoo rocks! And you can get a membership which will pay for itself in about 2 visits - just don't go on Wednesdays - it's half price day, so it's always crowded on Wednesdays.

What else do you want or need to know? How soon will you be here? Good luck with the move and getting here and let me know if you need any additional information, I'd be glad to help!:goodvibes:

laine 01-19-2009 10:01 PM

We're "next door" to you Jill! We're on the far north end of Euless. Our elem. school that we're zoned in is rated exemplary (the highest, and actually pretty difficult to acheive.). Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD is great, but closer to FW, Keller is very good, also. Birdville ISD has some really good schools (I used to teach there).

starryeyedgyal 01-20-2009 02:22 AM

Thank you sooo much for the info mamas! :hugs: Sorry I haven't been around lately.

Well as of right now we'll be moving there at the end of July. I cannot believe the cutoff date for kindergarten is Sept. 1!!! :(

Right now I'm looking for a realtor so we can start looking at houses. I just started looking on greatschools.net

I'm feeling very overwhelmed to say the least...I will definitely be back to post questions as they come to me. (there'll be a lot!!! :giggle:)

stephaniebrookeh5 01-30-2009 11:04 PM

You can do private kindergarten if you have a younger child.
We live in Arlington, and love it! Not too far from the base...maybe 15 minutes tops.
I have a GREAT Realtor. Her name is Vicki English. She is awesome! She is working with English reality. And, I know that they do transfers etc. I can give you her info. if you want it :)
Good luck!

MRL2611 01-30-2009 11:07 PM

Just wanted to say Howdy and Welcome :) I am from Irving, in between Ft.Worth and Dallas :)