Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Losing BF Support, small baby, not sleeping long (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609408)

CarolinaMama 11-24-2008 10:45 AM

Losing BF Support, small baby, not sleeping long

Well there are the basics. I just lost one of my last supporters of EBF'ing, my mother. She is concerned that neither my self or my DD are getting enough sleep. My DD is 4 months and pretty much eats every 2 hours day/night. So yes I am exhausted but I think BF'ing is worth it. My husband is is still sitting the fence and thinks we should start supplementing at 6 months. I want her EBF for as long as she would like. She is small, maybe 11/12 pounds but long, always in the 75% for height. I know all the benefits of BF'ing and do not want to supplement. I am worried that once I start formula my milk supply will drop, she will not want to nurse because a bottle is faster, and all the long hard struggles (clogs, mastitis) we went through to get bf'ing down will go to waste.

Please, are there any other mama's with small babies that don't sleep very long? I am starting to doubt myself and wondering if I am just being stubborn and my baby is suffering. Have any of you given a nighttime bottle of formula and had amazing results all the formula mama's claim? I feel like I am the last person trying to do what is best for my daughter, I do not come into the equation here. She will not be a baby forever....

txmom72 11-24-2008 01:27 PM

Re: Losing BF Support, small baby, not sleeping long

My ODS nursed like this for the first 6 mos or so. Thankfully, my DH was on board with me and helped. Are you cosleeping or nursing lying down? I WOHM and that was the only way I kept my sanity, since I could sleep while he nursed. Giving your LO a bottle of formula will not help her STTN.

STTN is a milestone that babies reach at their own pace. Here are some links that might help:

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html

eileenAKAmommy 11-24-2008 01:31 PM

I exclusively bottle fed the oldest and he still doesn't sleep through the night and he is 5. He used to wake up every 2 hours until the age of ONE!

I EBF only for 2 months with the baby. (severe allergies) and he just NOW started sleeping through the night, well from 11:30pm until 7am is the long stretch he does.

eileenAKAmommy 11-24-2008 01:32 PM

So bottle will not solve your problem, well it may, but you know what I mean. Do you co-sleep? That will help a lot!

martimeCDnewbie 11-24-2008 02:10 PM

So sounds like we have the same story:
DD is 5 1/2 months old i got her weighed a couple weeks ago and she hadn't gained ANY weight since september weighing in at 11pds7ounces. Less than 10% for her age. We went to the mom and baby clinic and they weighed DD before and after nursing..she got a mere 1.5 ounces. The LC's there are fantastic..and put me on domperidone to boost my milk supply in the first week i had to suppliment with formula after each time she nursed to get her weight rising. Now my supply is back and she's EBF and getting tons..and getting full AND she gained half a pound in a week. A success... :giggle2:

Anyway i had mastitis as well..and what happened is it dwindled my supply but i had no idea. Perhaps this is whats going on with you? It sucks not having support..my mother said to me " why don't you just FEED her" and that killed me. So all i have for support is DH thank god...and the LC's but the rest of my family and friends think we're nuts.

Formula might be the answer for you but if you really wnat to EBF there are choices and things that you can do to boost your supply if thats the problem. Do you have access to LC or BF clinics in your area??

I agree with PP co sleeping will help you and LO get more sleep!!

You know whats best for you and bebe its hard to listen to everybody else's advice...

I just wanted to share my story and let you know that you're not alone :hugs:

sonella 11-24-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileenAKAmommy (Post 5570539)
I exclusively bottle fed the oldest and he still doesn't sleep through the night and he is 5. He used to wake up every 2 hours until the age of ONE!.

I agree, if the amount of sleep you get is the problem, switching to formula isn't necessarily going to solve your problem. I experienced the same thing when I waited until 6 months to start cereal. everyone kept telling me my extremely wakeful son would magically start sleeping through the night if i just started him on cereal. well of course they were wrong. cereal was started and he still got up to eat every 3 hours. The best advice I ever got was "do what feels right" If you want to EBF and your LO's getting enough to eat you should keep at it. They grow up SO fast and they'll only be a baby once. Maybe you could pump and have your hubby take over one of the night feedings so you can get a longer period of unbroken sleep?

cheygirl 11-24-2008 02:38 PM

I agree with the pp's advice to investigate getting a prescription for domperidone to see if that helps...and learn to nurse baby in side-lying position (i.e., cosleep) so you can sleep while she nurses.

It also occurs to me that your DD might be going through the infamous 4 month sleep regression, when babies want to wake up and nurse constantly. It is exhausting; I remember it well. GL, mama, and I hope your DH & mom come around to your point of view and appreciate that you are doing the best for your baby! :hugs:

SubliminalDarkness 11-24-2008 02:49 PM

My DS2 was always at the low end for weight, but average to slightly above average for height. He was happy, but not a good sleeper, and nursed a lot, all day and night.

We never supplemented. Yes, it was hard. But looking back, so so very worth it. I wouldn't change anything. And if we have another baby that is the same way, I would do it all again, no question.

Some babies just aren't good sleepers, and just aren't ever going to be chubby. If you DID switch to formula, and your LO kept waking all night, and you'd lost your soothing mechanism(nursing) because you weaned him and went to formula... then what? You could end up worse off than where you are now. And I don't just mean intentional weaning, but that supplementing with formula can lead to your supply dwindling or your LO refusing to nurse. You just never know. I wouldn't want to take a chance.

fieroangel 11-24-2008 02:58 PM

My DS is 9 months and he still wakes about every 3 hours to eat. Everyone said when he was about 51/2 months that if I gave him cereal he would sleep. They were wrong. I have also tried giving a bottle of formula for his 11pm feeding and it didnt work either. I have a baby that like to eat all day and all night too. Yes I"m tired and no I never get a nap but dr pepper is my friend sometimes. Good luck with your family and you do what you think is best for you and your baby and dont listen to anyone else

sonella 11-24-2008 03:52 PM

is your LO in your room or in a nursery? I found that moving my son out of our room did help lengthen the time between feedings. I had a recliner in the nursery so I could doze in it while he nursed