Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is your "I-can't-live-without-this" cookbook? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60999)

aran_knitter 11-09-2006 01:25 PM

What is your "I-can't-live-without-this" cookbook?

I "accidentally" loaned my copy of the King Arthur Baker's Companion out to a friend (don't ask, long story)... and am heartbroken - I want my book back! *sob* :cry: She lives about 45 mins away, and it looks as though I won't get it back any time soon. DH is doing his best to console me. It's impossible. Makes me realize just how much I like that book!

I love baking, and have a number of books that I use a lot, but this one is my ultimate favorite. A gift from my Mom, that I refer to regularly. I have yet to make something out of this book that I don't like. The apple crumble and gingerbread pancake recipes are incredible!

runningdiva 11-09-2006 01:48 PM

Re: What is your "I-can't-live-without-this" cookbook?

well, I don't really use cookbooks but I use the site allrecipes.com and have great luck and i love reading reviews so people can tell me what they changed about a recipe or what worked/didn't work. they have a few cookbooks I am thinking about getting....

thumbelinadiapers 11-09-2006 01:50 PM

I got a Paula Deen set last christmas hat I love. I have never had a bad result!

Fither 11-09-2006 02:38 PM

"How to Cook Without a Book" by Pam Anderson can make anyone great in the kitchen! it really TEACHES one how to cook, how to shop, i absolutely love it.

and i love my better homes and gardens red & white checkered cook book. you're pretty much guaranteed to find what you need. :goodvibes:

masonite 11-09-2006 02:41 PM

One of my all time faves is one my mom gave me for Christmas when I was still in college. It was a "neighborhood" cookbook. Basically a real cook book with recipes from everyone in their neighborhood and church.

It's so battered and beat up now, because I used it SO much. It's definitely one of my favorite recipe books, because they are REAL recipes, from people who really cook.

My other faves are anything by ATK (Americas Test Kitchen). I rotate through those by checking them out at the library, and copying what I want. :goodvibes: But, I have my favorites on my Christmas list this year!

childers521 11-09-2006 03:15 PM

I second the PamAnderson reccommendation! I LOVE her cookbooks - How to Cook Without a Book is good and The Perfect Recipe and Cook Smart (I think that's the name of the other one)

I have yet to make anything out of those books that didn't totally rock. I also really love how she details the process she uses to refine a recipe and make it the best it can be, they are really very interesting to read.

stacim 11-09-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masonite (Post 439117)
My other faves are anything by ATK (Americas Test Kitchen). I rotate through those by checking them out at the library, and copying what I want. :goodvibes: But, I have my favorites on my Christmas list this year!

:yeahthat:

I just made macaroni and cheese out of their Cover and Bake cookbook that is to-die-for good. Not at all gritty, like a lot of recipes. I too, check them out and copy. :mrgreen:

ewebabymama 11-10-2006 08:57 AM

I can't live without the cookbook my mom made and gave me! I've added many recipes of my own to it and without that little book I'd b so very very lost. Actually, most of my recipes are now just in my head and/or on my laptop. I need to print them out and make them a part of my cookbook!

stellar225 11-10-2006 09:54 AM

I live and die by America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated!

childers521 11-12-2006 09:01 AM

for those of you that love the America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated cookbooks, you should check out the Pam Anderson ones when you get a chance - She is the former executive editor of Cook Illustrated magazine, so her writing style and recipe testing procedure is very similar to what you find in the ATK/CI books :thumbsup: