Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612045)

heidisue 11-28-2008 04:32 PM

$135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

I responded to a home care ad I thought would be perfect. A SAHM saying she was looking for a "playmate" for her son (3 months older than DS) part time Mon/Tues/Thur/Fri and she is only about 5 minutes away from my work.

I only need Mon/Thur/Fri - but everything else fit. I told her that I would need care from 6:45AM - 3:45PM (9 hours) Mon/Thur/Fri. She responded and said she wanted $15 an hour!!! This is for me to drop my son off at her house and I provide food/snacks.

I responded and told her thank you very much for your response, but we just can't afford $135 a day ($405 a week) for drop off care. I didn't tell her that our current provider is $25 a day (she was a temp care though - through January so now I need somebody else). I also didn't tell her that DH's take home pay is only $64/day so she was asking more than double what he makes!

She responded back and said "What rate do you think is reasonable by the hour and we could possibly negotiate?"

I don't know what to do - I kinda want to ignore her, but I hate doing that to people. The thing is, there isn't a "reasonable" HOURLY rate for daycares - that is why they have lots of kids. Occasionally you will find the parent who just wants an extra kid or two for some spending change. $15/hr could be reasonable for a parents night out or an hour or two while you do your shopping, or for tutoring or lessons. But, does anybody here think $405 a week is reasonable for one kiddo three times a week while the parent works - that is $21K a year for three days a week care. I am obviously not what she is looking for.

I wish it was reasonable - I would quit my job and stay home with my baby and a couple of his playmates :giggle2:

WWYD

Disclaimer - I am not saying childcare is in any way easy or should be paid low - I just can't afford that :cry:

MommaBunny 11-28-2008 04:34 PM

Re: $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

OMG that's insane! So sorry, mama! :hugs:

JeDeeLenae 11-28-2008 04:47 PM

$15/hr for one kid is ridiculous, IMO. Especially if it's not a formal nanny. She's a SAHM looking for playmates for her kids, but it seems more like she's trying to have a job. If it were me, I'd tell her what we were willing to pay, to me that would be like $150/week for one kid.

Charmaine 11-28-2008 04:47 PM

When I read the title I thought you must be from Seattle. That's the going rate here, but it is for a Nanny. Someone who would come to your house and also doing light cleaning and little extras like that.

But there is a difference from a Nanny to you having to bring your little one out at 6:45a.m. And that mom being able to stay home. I think that 25-35 a day is reasonable for your area.

Keep looking you'll fing the right person.

:2cents:

BNC 11-28-2008 04:55 PM

I would just respond with what you know is the goining rate in your area - $25/$30 a day. I would just flat out say "I currently pay $25/per day, and have been quoted around the same price (within $5-$10) from a few other people. $25 a day is reasonable."

Maybe she has never looked for childcare before and just doesnt know that $15 is unreasonable?

kkrpata 11-28-2008 05:00 PM

That is ridiculous!! Around here it is $25-$35 a day also.

ElizasMommy606 11-28-2008 05:06 PM

Hi mama, i'm not a lisenced provider but also a sahm and i care for a 2 month old from 12-5 a few days a week in their home and i only charge her $7/hour. What she is asking is out of the question. She doesnt have a lisence, and wants to bring her own child. No job would let you do that! You have to keep it within reason. I think $7 an hour would be perfectly reasonable especially considering the circumstances. (Mine is "under the table".) I'd explain to her that exact thing, that she can bring her own child, eat your food, and watch your child for $7-8$ an hour. Ask her if she knows of any other position that you can bring your own child with you paying $15 an hour, I dont think there is one unless you are watching 4-5 kids and giving them rides to activities and the parents have the $$ and even then those types of families hire professional nannies! Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidisue (Post 5619127)
I responded to a home care ad I thought would be perfect. A SAHM saying she was looking for a "playmate" for her son (3 months older than DS) part time Mon/Tues/Thur/Fri and she is only about 5 minutes away from my work.

I only need Mon/Thur/Fri - but everything else fit. I told her that I would need care from 6:45AM - 3:45PM (9 hours) Mon/Thur/Fri. She responded and said she wanted $15 an hour!!! This is for me to drop my son off at her house and I provide food/snacks.

I responded and told her thank you very much for your response, but we just can't afford $135 a day ($405 a week) for drop off care. I didn't tell her that our current provider is $25 a day (she was a temp care though - through January so now I need somebody else). I also didn't tell her that DH's take home pay is only $64/day so she was asking more than double what he makes!

She responded back and said "What rate do you think is reasonable by the hour and we could possibly negotiate?"

I don't know what to do - I kinda want to ignore her, but I hate doing that to people. The thing is, there isn't a "reasonable" HOURLY rate for daycares - that is why they have lots of kids. Occasionally you will find the parent who just wants an extra kid or two for some spending change. $15/hr could be reasonable for a parents night out or an hour or two while you do your shopping, or for tutoring or lessons. But, does anybody here think $405 a week is reasonable for one kiddo three times a week while the parent works - that is $21K a year for three days a week care. I am obviously not what she is looking for.

I wish it was reasonable - I would quit my job and stay home with my baby and a couple of his playmates :giggle2:

WWYD

Disclaimer - I am not saying childcare is in any way easy or should be paid low - I just can't afford that :cry:

kimsansf 11-28-2008 05:11 PM

I pay about $7/ hour for my child care provider... its in-home, i drop him off and she has her baby, mine and one other. She is fabulous, licensed and serious... with structured play and nurturing, not just a running play date.

$15 / hour is what i would pay for a nanny that came to my home and I'd pay less if her attention was split between my child and her own.

to me a nanny is different than a home daycare ... in this area, nannys get paid vacation and also sometimes benefits.

slaferriere@berklee.net 11-28-2008 05:14 PM

$25/day is about ... $4/hr. I can't believe someone would really watch your child for that cheap.

I do nanny and I wouldn't charge any LESS than $10/hr but I do go to their house and lightly clean, laundry, etc. I've had a child in my home and the mother paid me about $8/hr which was the cheapest I've ever worked for. I was willing to negotiate that because I wasn't paying any gas, etc.

I do think that people undervalue in home child care.. to have more one-on-one time with your child definitely costs extra whether in your home or theirs. If you want a more affordable rate it may just be better to do PT daycare??

But anyway, yea $15/r is a bit ridiculous. In our area, the going rate is $10-$12/hr.

Emmaleigh3699 11-28-2008 05:22 PM

drop in at my daycare is $3/hr +$10 a day fee - unless you have a set drop in schedule, then its just $3/hr