Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   OB says to stop nursing- HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61377)

turtle2who 11-10-2006 12:01 PM

OB says to stop nursing- HELP!

I am 7 weeks pg and nursing my 18 mo 2-3 times a day. Today I had my first OB visit and the nurse practitioner told me to stop nursing because there will be competition for nutrtition.

Tell me what you know about this- please! I need info to come back with. Because unless they have some specific info about risk to this particular baby- I am not stopping.

OneFabMama 11-10-2006 12:09 PM

Re: OB says to stop nursing- HELP!

I dont know much, but I know shes pretty much wrong. I have known plenty of women who have nursed successfully through their pregnancy and post pardum and continued to nurse a toddler and NB. I think if you're eating properly (You'll probably need more calories each day) you should be totally fine.

thumbelinadiapers 11-10-2006 12:21 PM

Id just ignore her, if I were you.

moonphishers 11-10-2006 12:25 PM

Hi there :)

nursing while pregnant (and Tandem Nursing) is more commonly done than pepople realize.

Here's a link from the La Leche League website regarding
Breastfeeding while pregnant and another, here on Tandem Nursing!

Please check out the link here to the La Leche League message boards for more info & support - you'll have to register (free) to view the Pregnant and Nursing Section... but it'll be worth it!!!!

Also here's another link from a reliable breastfeeding page to some basic information!

IMO if she won't conceed, or at least quit bugging you about it - even if you give her information on it's safety, I'd search for another OB if possible!

I hope you glean something from one of the places I posted for you!!!!!!!!!

Good luck mama!!!!

asandwick 11-10-2006 12:27 PM

She is most definitely wrong about this!!
To find out more info call the Le Leache League in your area or got to there web site!
The LLL has an awsome book...The womanly art of Breastfeeding!!!
I was pregnant when dd was 6 mo old & was heartbroken that I might have to stop...I Bf'd dd through my entire pregnancy and although the bigger I got the odder it was to hold her...There is no competing w/ nutrition :thumbsup:
She self-weaned 1 month before I gave birth to ds because the milk changed and she didn't like the taste!
:hugs:

LillyGrace'sMommy 11-10-2006 12:33 PM

I have a 16 month dd and a 3 month ds, I nursed my dd through most of my pregnancy, until I dried up (she is not a comfort nurser at all, she wanted food!), and I had no problems, my baby turned out just fine- 7 lbs. 7 oz., and he is quite the chunk now (he is on the boob ALL the time!) The first OB I went to was anti-nursing while pregnant, I did my own research, and decided that I wasn't ready to stop, and so I switched docs. If you have a problem with pre-term labor then I'd worry, but I'd never had any issues. I did have to up my calorie intake, drink alot more water, and eat alot more milk making friendly foods, but eventually my supply did go away. My 16 month old resumed nursing when I got milk back, and she'll take an occassional nip every now and then.....I reccoment Adventures in Tandem Nursing, it was a great help to me!
Good luck!

Kimmomy2dom 11-10-2006 12:39 PM

I imagine you'll be just fine, your children as well. There are a few mamas who did bf through the next pregnancy and continue tandeming after their younger child was born. :) Go as long as you want!
There are some situations (I know sometimes mamas pg with twins and if you have high risk pg's) where people really do suggest weaning. In those situations, obviously, the decision is up to you as well.

a_cthelen 11-10-2006 12:41 PM

I spoke with my MW about this and she said it is totally fine unless you start having uterine cramping, in which case, you would need to stop.

MrsBreeder 11-10-2006 09:28 PM

I didn't do that myself, but it is totally okay.

I'd say find a OB/np that supports your decisions!

e_mom_e 11-10-2006 10:01 PM

go to www.babyfit.com it's a website for nurtrition during pregnancy, it's an AWESOME site.

Ask Tanya, she is a nutritionist and moderator at the site. She is very supportive and would be very helpful in giving you advice and also, she can help you determine what your calorie/nutrition intake should be. Just go to the babyfit Cafe and type a post saying you need to ask Tanya a question, she'll answer you.