Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Santa Claus -- Do you allow your children to believe in him? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615425)

Lisa_delo 12-03-2008 11:27 AM

Santa Claus -- Do you allow your children to believe in him?

Santa Claus -- Do you allow your children to believe in him?

I know some parents tell their kids from an early age that Santa is a myth and doesn't exist. Nothing against parents who do, do this was just wondering why? I know some parents feel like they are lying to their children and don't like doing this. Just wanted to understand better the reasons some parents have.

I love the magic of Christmas and I love how excited my kids get over waiting for Santa. I remember how much more exciting Christmas was as a kid when I did still believe in Santa. Yes Christmas was fun as an older child as we all love receiving presents. But once the magic has gone Christmas never feels the same. I have loved having children of my own and being able to relive the magic again.

How old were your kids when they stopped believing or started asking questions whether he was real or not?

I am happy to let my kids believe as long as they want.

We tell our children that Mummy and Daddy buy all the presents and the elves take them to Santa to be wrapped and to stay hidden until Christmas eve. This clears up why they can't have everything they want. Each child receives one gift from Santa which he delivers along with all the other presents.

I honestly couldn't imagine the world with no Santa and Christmas with out him. Maybe I just a big softy and a child at heart. :)

Don't forget to Track Santa on with NORAD on Christmas eve http://www.noradsanta.org/en/home.html

kaspears17 12-03-2008 12:06 PM

Re: Santa Claus -- Do your allow your children to believe in him?

I'm torn on the issue. My older 2 believed in Santa, and it didn't destroy them when they found out he's not "real". My 8 yo still asks lots of questions about it, but knows it's not "real." We discuss it a lot in front of Ramses, so I doubt he'll believe, same with the newbie coming. I don't think we'll give them "Santa" presents this year. We tell them about Santa, and why some people believe and why he embodies the "spirit" of Christmas.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 12-03-2008 12:08 PM

we let santa stay alive! he is part of christmas and its fun! I will not tell my kids he is a myth unless they ask me, I wasn't heartbroken as a kid and I know my kids will be just fine too.:goodvibes:

Deanner03 12-03-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 5657505)
we let santa stay alive! he is part of christmas and its fun! I will not tell my kids he is a myth unless they ask me, I wasn't heartbroken as a kid and I know my kids will be just fine too.:goodvibes:

:yeahthat: Also, how else would I play the "Santa's watching" card :giggle2::blush:

Skittle 12-03-2008 12:29 PM

I don't mean to offend or judge anyone who choses to let their kids believe in Santa :goodvibes:

As for my family, husband and I are devoted Christians and we don't believe that it's right to make up something like the Easter Bunny or Santa. Our child will grow up knowing there is no Santa. Sometimes it makes me sad because it's so much fun but we can't purposely lie to her.:blush:

edit: I know that Santa Claus was real while Easter Bunny etc. isn't but I can' tell DD that it's Santa while it's the neighbors uncle :P. KWIM? DH and I aren't much into traditions neither and we do gifts whenever we feel like it. I remember when I believed in Santa and how devastated I was when I found out it was my aunt. :(

meghann8 12-03-2008 12:37 PM

We're Christian too, and we do Santa, because he WAS a real man. And doing Santa is keeping his spirit of giving alive, which is a part of the real meaning of Christmas.

My 8 year old figured it out this year. He wasn't too sad, especially when he realized that he now gets to be in on playing it up for the little kids. It made him feel grownup to be in on the secret.

On the flip side, we don't do the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny, because neither of those is based in truth.

mycdsqueaker 12-03-2008 12:40 PM

I grew up in a very Christian home but believed in Santa and the easter bunny etc....but I also knew the real meaning of the holidays.
My DH and I do the Santa thing.....it's magical for a child and there isn't a whole lot fo other things that bring that much joy to a child

Lisa_delo 12-03-2008 12:41 PM

My mum is a devoted Christians too:goodvibes: But she allowed us to believe in Santa. i think this summarizes it up nicely!

http://www.helium.com/items/552828-j...g-to-christmas

by Christa Abernathy

I believe in Santa Claus. There, I said it. I believe in Santa Claus, of history. I believe that a kind Christian man gave freely to the less fortunate in his community and that his love and kindness became legendary. I also believe in the idea of Santa Claus. I believe that there are rewards for those who do good, who help others and who share freely what they have.

One of the great traditions of Christianity is symbolism; taking simple everyday things and likening them to great doctrinal ideas. Symbolism is so embedded in the Christian traditions that most of what we do has spiritual origins.
No Christian holiday holds more of this symbolism than Christmas. From the jungle bell to the candy cane, these symbols have deeply embedded religious origins.

Probably the most popular Christmas symbol aside from the actual nativity story is the legend of Santa Clause. Everyone is familiar with him; a kind-hearted soul and lover of children. Dressed in red, he comes as a thief in the night to reward those on his "good list" and leave a burnt coal for those on the bad list. His gifts are given freely, without any expectation except that the recipient continue being good. He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake! He travels among the clouds, he brings happiness, encouragement, and love.
Sound familiar? Is it any wonder that Santa is a symbol of Christ? Some may argue that there are too many differences, that the two are too different to compare. But by that standard, I suppose the kingdom of God is not really like leavened bread, and faith is not really like a mustard seed. With symbolism, it's not the differences that matter. It's the similarities that draw our attention to the meaning and offer insights into the deeper implications of what we already understand. Symbols were never intended to be taken to the extreme. They lose their meaning when they are. But that does not mean a symbol's details cannot provide insight about what they represent. The key is to focus on the similarities.
Some would argue that the symbol of Santa has completely overshadowed Christ, that people have forgotten Christ because of our focus on the Santa. I would agree that this shouldn't happen. But which is better, to destroy the symbol in hopes that in doing so, people will revert their attention back to Christ, or to simply remind people that Santa is a symbol of Christ, and that the tradition of Santa has the most value when we remember that he is a symbol of Christ.
There is another aspect to this question that we ought to consider: could it be that we, as a society, have already forgotten Christ, and our focus on Santa is simply another evidence of that fact? If so, our focus should be on the cure rather than the symptom. What is the cure? Returning to Christ. If we do that, the rest will follow naturally. Santa, if he's remembered at all, will become what he is intended to be: a symbol of Christ.
One other thought. It is rarely disputed that Christmas is essentially a Christan holiday, but as the world becomes a tighter community, many other religions are adopting some of the unique traditions associated with Christmastime pine trees, gifts, candy, family togetherness, and of course, Santa Clause. Those who are not Christian join in the cultural aspects of the holiday while leaving out the spiritual.
This has led society as a whole to cling to the common threads of tradition, bringing people closer. Atheists share in the spirit of giving. Gnostics join in the warmth and fun of the season. While Christians may get the full spiritual experience of the season, Muslims, Buddhists, and Jews share in the joy of togetherness and love. Santa is part of that tradition, and though others will see him as a representation of these cultural traditions, Christians can see him as a representation of Christ

kimsansf 12-03-2008 12:43 PM

we will be doing the santa thing... not only is it part of christmas tradition for us, its such a classic source of my family memories ... that I cant imagine not making similar memories with jackson.

I remember santa calling on the phone when we were being bad, saying that his reindeer told him we were fighting (we grew up in an area with a ton of deer around) ... and being amazed by it. you better believe we didnt fight after that! My mom had just asked one of my uncles to call and pretend to be santa, but it sure did work! even my older brother, who I think didnt believe in santa at that point was extra good 'just in case' :giggle:

and the letters to santa?! my mom keeps our santa letters framed in a collage... who would jackson write to ?

amykins 12-03-2008 01:22 PM

Growing up my parents always said that Santa was not real, yet we still did things like leaving him cookies and writing him letters. It was fun and still magical even though we knew the truth. I plan on doing something similar with DS. I don't mean to put down any of those who plan on having their children believe in Santa, but I don't think that I want to deceive my children like that. Not that I think it's wrong for parents to choose to, but that's just my choice.