Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   late ECing? 17mo DD spontaneously potty learning? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616953)

Meg-momto2 12-05-2008 09:32 AM

late ECing? 17mo DD spontaneously potty learning?

a little history- i knew of EC when DD was born. a few times a week i'd hold her over the potty and she's go. i had to go back to work full time when she was 6 weeks old and never gave it my full effort. we've always had our BBLP out where DD can use it. she likes sitting on it but rarely used it. in the last few weeks/month DD has been telling me when she got poop after the fact and will often say "pee" while changing her diaper. she gets naked time often but never really used her potty. when she would have accidents i direct her to her potty.

so, i've recently become very frustrated with CDing and changing a screaming, fighting 17mo diaper. out of pure frustration i let DD go bottomless on Wednesday. she had two little(like drops) accidents in the morning and by evening she was going on her own. Thursday was the same. she would go 100% on her own almost all day. i had to run out after DH got home and he asked that i put her in a diaper while i was gone. i came home to her sitting on the potty, clothed, but obviously trying to use it. i had no intentions of potty learning her right now. i was just sick of changing diapers and was willing to clean pee and poop of the floor for a few days just to get a break. i have no idea where to go from here. i guess i need to look to little trainers or undies. i'm worried about traveling for Christmas and regressing. i'm in such shock i'm not sure where to go from here.

j_a_a_zavala 12-05-2008 10:59 AM

Re: late ECing? 17mo DD spontaneously potty learning?

My daughter self potty learned at 17m also. She is almost 19m now. She would tell me every time she would pee and would want her diaper off. Then of course she woulden't put one back on. We got out her potty chair and we would leave her naked all day and when she would tell me she had to go I would put her on. I still put a diaper on her when we go out most of the time and once in a wile she will have an accident at home but for the most part she knows befor she goes. I dont worry about regressing because it was her choise to potty learn. We are driving from Michigan to the middle of Mexico the day after Christmas and I think I am going to get a travel potty to take with us but it is a very long drive and even if she tells me that she has to go we may not be able to pull over in time for her to use it. She does not like it when she tells us she has to go and then has an accident becasue we could not take her fast enuff. I'm sure this will be the case since we will be in the car for 4days. I have bought a few potty learners and have heard that a few are almost as absorbant as a diaper so we will use those and I don't think that we will have any problems with regression.

I would suggest getting her some learners and giving them to her right befor you travel. You can tell her something like she is a big girl now and uses the potty and these are special pantys that she is not supposed to pee in. I am getting some of the blueberry minky trainers and from what I have read they are the most absorbant.

aidensmommy 12-12-2008 08:28 AM

Re: late ECing? 17mo DD spontaneously potty learning?

DS is 18 months now. At 16 months, he started doing the same thing as your daughter, so we would let him go on the potty once a day as a special treat :giggle: I had a lot going on with dr appts, being sick, work, etc and I couldn't make the potty training effort consistent because our daily schedule was all wacky. So, for two months, we just had him use the potty once or twice a day.

Fast forward to this week....he's 18 months now. He still shows an interest in the potty, so on Monday we went straight to undies (with wool pants to catch any dribbles). On Monday morning he had about 4 accidents, then was fine all afternoon. Each day was better and better. Yesterday, Thursday, we spent all day out and about and he wore training pants with wool "just in case" He stayed dry all day and used the public potty when needed!

The only accident we are having is with poop, but he's coming and telling me right away....that's just going to take a little while longer for him.

So, long story short, if the interest is there, keep it up! If trying to work on it during travel is too challenging, then go back to diapers for the car ride and just use the potty whenever possible. By the time you get back, she'll be a few months older and even more eager and you can probably go straight to undies.

:lostit: