Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   PF + Wool = Rash??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619158)

AundAPenner 12-08-2008 03:03 PM

PF + Wool = Rash???

We've been successfully CDing now for almost 2 full weeks. :thumbsup:

We're using cotton PFs and wool covers. We're also using Imse Vimse flushable liners. BUT - DS keeps getting a rash!

I've added an extra rinse after our wash cycle (samsung front loader).

We've switched to Sodasan (from persil sensitive).

We change him way more often than when he was in sposies (at least every 1-1.5 hours).

What else could it be?

If he had buildup in the PFs, wouldn't we smell it? His dipes just smell like dipes. And when they come out of the dryer, they smell nice and clean.

Any thoughts/advice?

Please help!!!!!

Alice

mom2dara 12-08-2008 05:02 PM

Re: PF + Wool = Rash???

My Babe has been in cloth her entire life (almost 10 mo now) and she has never had rash. You seem to do the same as I do with regards to changing her frequently. The only time her bum seems to get irritated is when she comes in contact with poo. Change immediately with every pooed diaper!
ALSO:
Give diaper free time every day!

If your babe is on solids you could also try to research foods that could be causing the rash as well.

If your babe still has rashes with the new detergent try another -- I use Charlie's Soap and it does a BEAUTIFUL job on my prefolds.

Allergy to wool may be a possibility.

HTH!

queenginseng 12-09-2008 06:34 AM

You using dryer sheets or fabric softener?

Where is the rash at?

AundAPenner 12-09-2008 06:45 AM

No fabric softener in either the washer or dryer. I did start adding 1/4 cup vinegar to the last rinse in the wash cycle. Then we do an extra rinse after that is done. (A load of diapers with the babycycle is over 2 hours - the extra rinse adds an additional 15 minutes.)

His rash is really more by his butt.

We ended up using vaseline last night just to act as a protector. His butt was much better today. But when he poos, he now screams when I have to clean.

I'm getting in some hemp PFs and actual cloth wipes (we're using old baby washcloths). Won't the hemp be more absorbant than the cotton? And our thoughts on the wipes is that cloth is SO much easier but the terry might be too rough on his rash.

Thoughts???

mom23girls 12-09-2008 10:01 AM

Alice -
I think, but could be wrong, but, if you are using liners then you can use regular diaper cream.

Also, I know that the idea of no liners is yucky but, I would maybe try going that route - maybe the liners are the issue?

Are you doing sposies overnight?

MammaBx3! 12-10-2008 02:48 AM

I have to do more than one extra rinse with my FL. I do the extra rinse on the usual cycle, then run a full load with no soap on delicates instead of a second "extra rinse". Also, the vinegar could be not rinsing fully, or too much soap? Try cutting it or quadruple rinsing your diapers to get residue out. Baby washcloths should be fine if you use extra water. I keep a squirt bottle like the postpartum hospital one to spray off when we have rashes, then you don't have to wipe it much. GL!

queenginseng 12-11-2008 05:16 AM

The vinegar makes the wash very acidy. Have you tried using less or cutting it out a few loads? Baking soda should neutralize it.

What temp are you washing at and how many days between?

How much Sodosan are you using?

I think you would smell build up, do the dipes smell smelly right after a pee?

Every 2 or 3 days, I do a short cold wash and a second longer hot wash with detergent/soap nuts. When I do not, they smell funky after a pee. (Even if I do a hot wash with prewash or extra rinse.) But these dipes are usually just peed in.

Is he pooping a lot, or more than usual? Eating acidy things?

AundAPenner 12-11-2008 05:40 AM

You know, I hadn't considered that the vinegar would make it acidic.

I just finished washing - and added a full 2 wash cycles with nothing added.

How do I use baking soda? How much? Can I use too much?

I think we use about 40mL of Sodasan for about 10 dipes.

The babywash cycle runs at 95Celcius. The short wash cycle I did without anything added ran at 60Celcius.

When he pees, the diapers smell like a peed on diaper. But I wouldn't call it strong or ammonia'ish. What type of a smell would I be looking for?

Since we switched to cloth, he is pooping more. Little stinker!

Gotta run - gotta run meltdown mode.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by queenginseng (Post 5726109)
The vinegar makes the wash very acidy. Have you tried using less or cutting it out a few loads? Baking soda should neutralize it.

What temp are you washing at and how many days between?

How much Sodosan are you using?

I think you would smell build up, do the dipes smell smelly right after a pee?

Every 2 or 3 days, I do a short cold wash and a second longer hot wash with detergent/soap nuts. When I do not, they smell funky after a pee. (Even if I do a hot wash with prewash or extra rinse.) But these dipes are usually just peed in.

Is he pooping a lot, or more than usual? Eating acidy things?

queenginseng 12-12-2008 02:52 PM

Why are you using vinegar? As a fabric softener?

So you do 2 washes? 1 at 60 and 1 at 90?

You would know when it smells funky, it would smell fishy/like ammonia.

AundAPenner 12-12-2008 03:27 PM

I don't know why I'm using vinegar. I guess as a fabric softener and also an additional deodorizer. I use it with all our towels too.

The first wash cycle is 2 hours long - is that normal? That one is at 95 degrees. I added a second shorter cycle at 60, but that takes an additional 45 minutes.

Is it common in Europe/with a FL to take 3 hours to wash dipes?????