Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Fallen off the EC wagon (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619707)

rawmamanibbles 12-09-2008 10:16 AM

Fallen off the EC wagon

Ladies i have fallen off the EC wagon and i cant seem to get back on. he goes in the BBLP here and there but mostly in his diaper. I would really like to take ahold of this so we can stop using SO MANY DIAPERS A DAY. but im having a hard him.
Any suggestions ladies?
my goal is go get him into training pants within this year but like i said im having a hard time getting this started again. I need help.
Im not really worried about ECing at night, that will come, mostly during the day. I'd like to have him diaper free during the day but i dont know how to go about doing that?

lisavark 12-09-2008 11:47 AM

Re: Fallen off the EC wagon

How old is he?

From what I've gathered from reading, it seems like babies commonly go through phases at certain ages when they stop using the potty, even if they've been EC'd since birth. And sometimes it happens just before they're ready for toilet independence, too. :)

But if you really want to go diaper free, I'd say just...do it. Just take his diaper off. Do you have carpets? If so, can you put something down to cover them (a fleece or wool blanket, etc.) to protect them? Are his poops pretty predictable? If so then wait to take the diaper off till after he's pooped, and then just make the BBLP available and offer when you think he needs to go, and keep communicating when he goes on the floor.

Has he been resisting or refusing when you offer the potty? If so, have you tried different locations? Sometimes babies prefer to go outside. It seems like boys often prefer to go standing up--maybe he would like to go while standing in the tub.

Remember that it's all about communication, not just catches! :)

rawmamanibbles 12-10-2008 06:31 AM

My son is almost 5 months old. i'd like to just do it .. take diaper off and lets go. Do babies learn quicker that way?

MeCo7707 12-10-2008 07:08 AM

Depends on the baby - my daughter, when left diaperless will not always communicate, because I usually check her to see if she has wet the place she is in she will often pee and then scream bloody murder because she is wet - but refuses to cue like she does in diapers. On the other hand, my friends daughter is more likely to cue when without a diaper. Give it a shot maybe he will respond positively :) Good Luck mama!

aikigypsy 12-10-2008 07:32 AM

I think at that age we were still going through ridiculous numbers of diapers. We started most-of-the-time EC when she was 3 months old, and for the next few months we went through something like 18 diapers a day on average. They just pee a lot. It's OK.

Around 6 months, I started keeping a log of her elimination patterns, pees into potty/sink/toilet/grass and wet diapers. It really helped me a lot, and I think we'd doubled our catch rate within the week (from 1/3 to 2/3) but it was more about my awareness than hers at that stage. I personally don't find that being bare-bottomed makes much difference in catch rate or awareness, but I think it's good for their bums to get some air so we do it lots anyway, and I'd often rather clean the floor than change a diaper.

At the beginning I was also much more focused on the end goal of toilet independence or at least diaper free, but now, after almost 10 months of full-time EC, I've finally learned to relax a bit about it and be more "process oriented." It keeps her dry and clean now, helps her maintain her inborn awareness of her elimination, and she's not getting habituated to sitting in a wet diaper.

I think she'll be diaper free when she can communicate her needs more clearly, not only to me but to other caregivers, like her father and grandparents, who aren't as attuned to subtle cues.

As for training pants, that's mostly what we use now for nights and outings, but the kind with a waterproof outer layer. There's no reason you can't use them now, if you're changing after every pee. You're still doing EC that way, even if you're not catching as much as you'd like to. At home, I prefer to use a thin prefold tucked into a diaper belt, because it's easier to change and wash/dry than the pocket trainers we have.

atomicfrock 12-10-2008 09:07 PM

Yes, EC is alot more about mommy being aware (they just EXPECT you to be, kwim?). Trainers may help. I like Continuum Family or EcAware. Here's a discount code for CF: CP0585. That's a zero in there and you have to enter it twice: once while registering and again at checkout for 10%off. You should try NEC. When baby starts going through potty pauses (5 mo - 1yr, especially in my experience due to all the learning), NEC may keep you on track because baby is often relaxed enough to go. Daytime they are often just not interested or giving mixed signals (or we get too busy to notice the little signs!!).
FYI, our 1st big potty pause was around 5 mo. Lasted (on&off) for a month. Lately it's more sporatic (depending on how teething/standing/walking/talking is going). DD is 9mo now , ED'd from birth.

Carrie

rawmamanibbles 12-11-2008 11:12 AM

well i did decide to just go for it and i've taken the diaper off since we woke up. it's a little better, it has kept me more aware. he doesnt signal me i just get a feeling he has to go and i put him on the pot and he goes.
I was thinking of getting one of those wool blankets for the floor so i can lay him to play and not fear him peeing on the floor. do any of you ladies use one of those?
so your saying continue to EC at night though the potty breaks and it helps?
thanx ladies for your advice :)

MeCo7707 12-11-2008 04:40 PM

I don't have a wool blanket - but that's because DD prefers her diaper on for some reason and I don't mind having her bum covered - already she's figured out how to take the blasted thing off when she has to go anyway lol. I'm sure a wool or fleece blanket would be great for the floor - wool would probably be better as it would keep baby warmer.

We EC at night IF she wakes up when she nurses, she sleeps in a hammock for the first part of the night but after the first feeding spends the rest of the night with me because of the cold and sometimes she will just roll over and start to look for a nipple without really waking up - when that happens I don't potty her. It has been working until last night I didn't wake up when she woke up to potty and she took her diaper off and peed everywhere lol - guess I will wake up next time!

jtaylor379 01-05-2009 07:04 PM

I've got a couple Snugglewoold and they're great. I'd put a prefold under the baby, though, because washing the snugglewool every time there's a miss is going to be a lot of work!

Cheers,
Jessica