Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Potty bowl with DS? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620460)

mrsdelaughter 12-10-2008 08:41 AM

Potty bowl with DS?

Hi everyone! I am expecting a newborn and am wanting to EC from the beginning. In those early days, it is recommeded to keep a bowl in your lap while nursing. My question is this: Has anyone used the Potty Bowl that the EC Store sells with a newborn boy? The fact that it sits between your legs and is flush with your lap is appealing, but I wasn't sure how to manage holding the baby AND aiming at the bowl. I plan on keeping BBLPs around the house, but thought it might be easier to use the potty bowl in the beginning. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks!

Suellen

crazyeyesmcgee 12-10-2008 11:31 AM

Re: Potty bowl with DS?

:popcorn:

Elsaraw 12-10-2008 03:07 PM

I have a potty bowl and never used it, it was just too easy to hold baby over bblp or sink. I think for sure you'll get splashed :giggle:

atomicfrock 12-10-2008 08:55 PM

I like potty bowls and felt the BBLP put baby too far away from me. Get both and see what works for you. You can always sell it no problem on EC boards. I used the Potty Bowl but actually like little soft sided plastic mixing bowls I got from Wal-mart best (due to DD having a big butt). You shouldn't have a problem as your DS's butt should be bent a little which will aim his noodle downward a bit. FYI, you'll get over having pee on you... it happens, GIRL or BOY!!!

spookykitty 12-11-2008 09:32 PM

We started from birth this time. I wanted to get a Potty Bowl from the EC Store, but never did for some reason. Anyway, I found it easy to just have my baby naked, with a prefold on my lap. I could just flip it up between his legs, give a cue and switch for a fresh one. Newborns pee/poop so often!!! And they can't hold up their heads, which I found to be a little tricky. He was definitely too small for the BBLP. I didn't start using it until he was about 3 months. I think the potty bowl from the EC store is worth a try. HTH.

mrsdelaughter 12-12-2008 03:30 PM

Okay, new thought, instead of using the potty bowl from the EC store, what about using the insert for the Baby Bjorn Potty Chair? It has about the same size opening as the BBLP, but doesn't have the back or sides. I am guessing it would fit between my legs and if I turned it sideways of the direction I am nursing, I could use the splash gaurd to my advantage. Would this work? I do not have a Baby Bjorn potty chair, but they are on sale at Amazon for 19.96. I would probalby end up buying one later anyway.

jtaylor379 01-05-2009 07:00 PM

I also bought two potty bowls from the EC store, and just found it too cumbersome while feeding. From an EC perspective I decided sleep and eating are sacred events for which I won't interrupt to potty my DS. Now that he's six months, though, the potty is barely holding any interest for him at all. I'm hoping it improves with time! We were kicking butt up until he was four months old - it was fantastic.

Cheers,
Jessica