Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   6 month old peeing every 15 min (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620983)

mcheuk 12-10-2008 07:37 PM

6 month old peeing every 15 min

I've been EC-ing since 3 weeks, but I've never been able to catch every pee. When she was really little, she was pee-ing every 5 minutes. The last three months, she pees every 15 minutes.

There's just no way I'm going to catch all those pees. I've tried pottying every 15 minutes, and it's too much, and she gets tired of going to the potty that often.

Is something wrong with her, or is this normal? Will she pee less often as she gets older? As long as I catch some pees, will she still potty train early? Thanks!

cotopaxi 12-10-2008 08:21 PM

Re: 6 month old peeing every 15 min

YES she will pee much less frequently when she's older.
NO you're not doing anything wrong. No one, no one at all, catches 100% of newborn pees, and very very few catch 100% of a 6-month-old's pees.

I can't say if she will potty train early for sure, b/c you always hear of people ECing full time from birth and having a 3-yr-old in dipes, but I can tell you that my 18-month-old is dry 95% of the time during the day and has been for a few months now, having EC'd very casually from about 5 weeks. Currently I offer the potty about every 1.5 to 2 hours (she occasionally asks for the potty as of recently, but not dependably), and she keeps herself dry in between. I WOH 3 days/week and the other caregivers didn't do much at all in the way of EC for the first 5-6 months, nor did my DH when he was alone with her, and even when I was with her I wasn't doing it all the time, only when reasonably convenient.

So I always tell people that at least in my experience it's still worth doing even if you're going to only do it part-time.

Also, I think your approach is good (at least, it's the same as mine, lol) b/c I think it's better to make pottying a positive experience (i.e. not spending half her waking hours on the potty when she's clearly tired of it) than to try to catch everything. It's such a relief and pleasure to find that my toddler and I have NO power struggle over the potty - she knows it's 100% her choice if she wants to sit on it.

atomicfrock 12-10-2008 09:43 PM

Re: 6 month old peeing every 15 min

Yes, if you try too hard to catch EVERY little pee, then you will tire yourself and your baby (you may bring on a potty pause). The BEST way to catch the most pees is to carry your baby whenever possible and convienent (for you and the baby... mine didn't want to be carried all the time, just alot of the time). I think we had our first 100% day around 3 months. But they only happen occasionally and it isn't the norm. So R-E-L-A-X and enjoy the ride.

Carrie