Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is wicking? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6214)

shaykismama 05-15-2006 08:01 PM

What is wicking?

Sorry, but I have a silly question.:blush: What exactly does "wicking" mean?

Also, I mainly use FBs and lately they started leaking. I haven't had a problem before but now it seems like I have to change her clothes every couple hours because she's just wetting right through. It's seriously driving me nuts. Is this what wicking is? Am I doing something wrong here? Please help.:mrgreen:

Thanks!

ocfb16 05-15-2006 08:04 PM

Re: What is wicking?

Wicking is where the diaper is leaking through the PUL (the waterproof layer) and repelling is where your diapers are leaking out through the legs. Where is your diaper leaking at?

kezoo 05-15-2006 08:08 PM

Well, I think wicking is not that it is leaking through the PUL, but that the insert is soooooo full, that the moisture has to go somewhere, so it "wicks" (travels) through the fleece to the next absorbant thing (e.g. clothing). Or, if it is a dipe w/ a cotton outside (e.g. PUL backed), it can wick onto the outside absorbant part of the dipe, and then onto the clothing.

If you are finding your dc's clothes are wet often, it may be that your dipes are repelling (not going through the fleece to the insert) - instead the pee is just rolling of the fleece and it has to go somewhere! If it seems the insert is not soaked, but she is still wet on the outside, you may need to strip!

shaykismama 05-15-2006 08:23 PM

THANKS so much for the quick responses!

Well it seems that it's only leaking around the edges where her legs are, so it wouldn't be wicking, right? And the inserts are getting wet, so it doesn't need stripping? Sorry, I'm not sure what stripping is either.:blush:

So maybe it is simply that she's just wetting more and needs changing more often or needs more absorbant inserts? Any ideas on a more absorbant insert, because I change her VERY often?

Thanks again for the info. This place is great!

ocfb16 05-15-2006 08:35 PM

Are the inserts soaked or just a little wet?

MomsHelpingMoms 05-15-2006 10:14 PM

2 things I am thinking:
1) There isn't enough inserts
2) Some tt (turn and topstitch) diapers have major wicking issues; HOWEVER, this is not common of FB's. I own a few and they all work great.

Here is something to remember, even if your FB's were wicking, you wouldn't know it. They treat their PUL with a water repelling agent so they will never "feel" wet. However, the liquid will go onto the clothing. My idea, you need more stuffing.

tararaboomdeea 05-15-2006 10:23 PM

i'm glad you posted this because i didn't know either!! thanks for all the info ladies! this place is great!!:hugegrin:

roseselene 05-15-2006 10:23 PM

You many need to add more absorbancy to your diaper. How often are you changing? When we got leaking around the legs and ruled out repelling, I added more absorbancy to the pocket and also tried to change as soon as I noticed he was wet. Did you mention what you are stuffing in there? Sometimes just one microfiber is not enough for a heavy wetter.
Good luck!
Amy