Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Is part EC possible? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624411)

ammcmaho 12-15-2008 08:34 PM

Is part EC possible?

We put DD (9m) on the toilet first thing in the morning, she normally goes and we do when she wakes from a nap if she's dry (most of the time). I'm not sure that I have the patience/dedication to do it more. Is it enough?

dumaine 12-15-2008 09:47 PM

Re: Is part EC possible?

I EC full time, but I know many people do it part time. In fact, Charndra of Tribal Baby recently added Part Time Diaper Free to her site:
http://www.parttimediaperfree.com/ab...aby-diaper.htm
If you haven't heard of Tribal Baby, its totally worth checking out. So much great info!

Sakari 12-16-2008 10:08 AM

one book i read said "some EC is better than no EC!" :) I think anything you do in the way of helping them learn that their pants aren't the only place to eliminate is a good thing!

that being said ... I consider myself mostly "full time" now :) but to me that means just being as aware as I can without stressing about it and not trying to be superwoman! I do what I can, as often as I can, but only because its something I want to do. no pressure. Also, "full time" doesn't have to mean you NEVER use diapers. and it certainly doesn't mean that you NEVER have misses!

Just have fun with it! :thumbsup:

MeCo7707 12-16-2008 06:50 PM

I read somewhere that one woman ec'ed the children she babysat, and one child would immediatley go in his diaper when he was given to his mom at the end of the day as if he was signalling that he knew that he was diaperless with babysitter and diapered with mama. So I doubt it would hurt to only part time ec - like pp said any ec is better then no ec!

lam328 12-16-2008 08:13 PM

I would say yes, part time Ec works. With my 2nd baby I ED 100% of the time. We lived in a tiny house, my oldest was 4, and we had pergo floors so he was diaperless 90% of the time or in the sling for a year! Now with my 3rd baby I am ECing but I have a 2, now 3 year old to take care of, and a bigger 3 story house. I EC 'part time' because I can not be physically there as much to read ds cues, i.e. when I am cooking for the other two children, dressing the 3 year old or helping him with something, or running up and downstairs taking care of the home. I also do not get up to potty him at night. We go through at least 5 cloth diapers a day right now. I feel like my ds still knows what eliminating is and has many ways of communicating with me. In fact, just the other day he said 'P-P" when he had gone in his diaper at 7 months old! EC is so cool:mrgreen:

ammcmaho 12-18-2008 10:55 AM

thanks ladies - here's my follow up - hopefully you all have some advice
:

we started to do some elimination communication, a bit later than most, but we're doing quite well. we started it a bit when we were in cancun in oct and she's doing well. we now put her on the toilet first thing in the morning and she always eliminates - we also do after naps and almost always she goes. I'm trying to get the association going with the sound and her going, but the sound of her pee is so light that i don't even hear it to cue her.

Anyone else do EC? I'm also worried about regression since we won't have a little potty when we're in india for 3 weeks. we're thinking of doing diaper free most of the time when we're in the house and really using that time to watch for her cues (she usually grabs herself when she has to pee), but i'm seeing she is holding her pee in for the potty so i don't want to change anything and make her confused.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

MeCo7707 12-18-2008 11:17 AM

India if I recall is a country that the majority does practice EC, so even if you don't have a little potty, maybe some sort of container or bowl that you can buy cheaply while you are over there? I let DD go when she needs to go even if I don't have a potty for her, a big potty, a patch of grass, wherever is a good place for a pee is where she goes. When out and about hiking I had a ziploc tupperware and would dump it out when we reached a spot I could do so. Maybe that might help?

Charmaine 12-18-2008 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=MeCo7707;5772931]I read somewhere that one woman ec'ed the children she babysat, and one child would immediatley go in his diaper when he was given to his mom at the end of the day as if he was signalling that he knew that he was diaperless with babysitter and diapered with mama.QUOTE]

I could see this. Not too different then BF baby who uses bottles at daycare and never at home.

My son although a toddler is diaper free at home. Well his is undies free as well :giggle2: ! But when we go out he wears a diaper and has absolutely no issues going #1 or #2 in the thing. The little guy definitely doesn't miss a beat.

ammcmaho 12-19-2008 11:31 AM

Yes in india they are just starting to really take to disposable diapers. with a billion people they don't need the extra trash and contaminants. Anyway, we're going to diaper free as much as possible when at home. We'll be travelling for a few days (taj, etc) but other than that I am thinking we can be successful. She likes to sit on her baby bjorn potty, and i think she's only not peed on it twice since we've been really focusing on eliminating based on cues. Hopefully we can do the same at the in-laws house with another container!

MeCo7707 12-19-2008 01:12 PM

Wow that's awesome!

Be sure to keep in mind that a change in people/surroundings/etc can effect communication and throw of ec communications sometimes, so if she has a problem at your in laws it may just be stress from people. Then again some babies have no problem with changes! GL