Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Not dry refried beans (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626230)

Angel3167 12-18-2008 11:27 AM

Not dry refried beans

I am looking for how to make refried beans and NOT have them come out all crumbly and dry. I have tried once before and it was kind of gross. I want them to be all creamy and good like the ones at the mexican restraunt or the ones that come out of my frozen bean burrito. Any help is great!

altuttle 12-18-2008 01:13 PM

Re: Not dry refried beans

Im not sure if you are wanting for canned or homemade but this is how I do mine. I use canned and when I put them in the pot to heat I also add water to the pan before I heat them. It mixes up well and they are more moist that way.

arya_ishaya 12-18-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altuttle (Post 5788759)
Im not sure if you are wanting for canned or homemade but this is how I do mine. I use canned and when I put them in the pot to heat I also add water to the pan before I heat them. It mixes up well and they are more moist that way.

This is also how I do mine out of a can. And I haven't tried with whole pinto beans, but what I would do after I cook them, is mash them in a pan, add oil and water and just saute' it up a bit. I lived with some Mexican's last winter for a few months, and that seemed to be what they did.

Angel3167 12-18-2008 09:32 PM

Yea I am trying to avoid the can (stranger cooked beans weirds out DH :rolleyes:) How much oil and water you think? Enough just to make them smooth?

nks 12-22-2008 10:25 AM

well, I'm hispanic and this is how we make them:

add some oil to the pan.. more than just to coat. let it heat up and add your whole beans along with a tiny bit of the water they cooked in. mash them up.. and you get refried beans :] you can add as much water as you want to make them as creamy as you want!!

Angel3167 12-22-2008 02:21 PM

That sounds way to easy :giggle: What spices do you cook with your beans? I think I have a recipe and it's like garlic and onion and cumin.

nks 12-23-2008 08:00 AM

honestly.. all we add to them when we boil them is salt.. and more salt if needed once you're refrying them. it's so easy and simple. you can add some garlic salt if you'd like a little bit diff taste but just salt is the way we make them. you can crumble some mexican soft cheese on top when you make it as a side.. yummy!

andrea909 12-28-2008 08:26 PM

I'm Mexican and I fry them in oil (very healthy I know) as I mash them. If they are dry add some milk and add grated cheese if you want. Delicious. You can vary the amounts of all the ingredients depending on your mood. No cheese, no oil , etc. If you opt for no oil you can blend them in the blender and just heat in a skillet and add milk and seasoning .

Angel3167 12-28-2008 08:44 PM

sounds good....now I need to stop being lazy and try and make them again.

dogmom327 12-28-2008 09:33 PM

Add real lard :)