Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do you cover up when NIP? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627309)

k8secondo 12-20-2008 09:49 AM

Do you cover up when NIP?

We had nurse-in at the mall here recently because a mom was being harassed by security guards for BFing her child. She was being discreet, but was asked to leave. So the local moms staged a nurse-in to help promote BFing in public. But at the nurse-in, 95% of the moms were using nursing covers or blankets. I only saw 2 moms nursing without covering up. The news coverage was totally uneducated and was talking about how nursing moms "always" use "hooter hiders" and other nursing covers. I don't. Does this make me un-discreet? I was just wondering how many nursing moms cover up in public or not.

Mockeh 12-20-2008 09:53 AM

Re: Do you cover up when NIP?

I don't cover up. It's not like you can even see much anyway. I lift my top up and am more concerned at people see my post-baby tummy than my boob!

k8secondo 12-20-2008 09:57 AM

I voted never because DS hates being covered up. I tried to get him used to it as a newborn, but we had latch problems and I needed to see what I was doing. I'm discreet too, just a flash of tummy here and there. Unless DS gets distracted and pops off! :blush:

aliks 12-20-2008 10:00 AM

If I'm around a certain few ignorant people I will, because I don't want to hear the comments. Their minds will never change and I don't want my son to hear it. But other than that, no. I've only had one person in public say something to me and I stayed cool. I did use a cover in the beginning when we learning how to nurse because I wasn't as confident.

mrshamilton06 12-20-2008 10:03 AM

funny enough i hav eno qualms about nursing in public an di dont use a cover when out but when i visit my parents I cover up or go in another room. they are uncomfortable with me "still" nursing my 7m old dd. But they are uncomfortable with my alternative lifestyle anyway so there you go.

AutumnRose 12-20-2008 10:05 AM

it just depends...I will use the cover in a resaurant b/c I can understand how distracting that could be!!! LOL! But in the mall, I could care less, if someone asked me to leave an area for bfing, I would prolly say "NY state has a law protecting mothers who bf in public..."

spurmar 12-20-2008 10:07 AM

None of my thre children let me cover them up. I try to be discreet and may use a blanket if just ot cover my stomach or any other exposed skin. I do not cover my child. I do use mommy's rooms when available. I have at times even asked for a dressing room. If I try to be discreet and ask for help and am turned down. Boy will evrybody get a show! When I have had people complain I say, "I asked if there was somewhere I could feed my baby, but the sttaff were totally unhelpful and I refuse to starve my child. That is child abuse!" I can be a bit dramtic. My opinion is if you don't like it find and easy and comfortable way in your establishment that I can be more discreet.

Lynne 12-20-2008 10:08 AM

I don't. I don't have enough hands to deal with the baby, my breast, and a blanket. I'm mostly covered by the baby and my shirt anyway. If you were watching me really closely while he latches on you'd see something, but once he's on there's hardly anything showing. The closest I come to using a cover is nursing in a wrap or ring sling.

bradymom29 12-20-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshamilton06 (Post 5803238)
funny enough i hav eno qualms about nursing in public an di dont use a cover when out but when i visit my parents I cover up or go in another room.

:yeahthat:

For me, I am more likely to cover up when around my family than when in the middle of a crowded mall. I think it's because I don't really care if a stranger "catches a peek" but when my brother is 2 feet away, it weirds me out to think he might see my boob! :giggle2:

Calideedle 12-20-2008 10:20 AM

Nope I never have covered up.