Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   C-section moms, please help me. :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6277)

SugarBunsWool&More 05-16-2006 07:42 AM

C-section moms, please help me. :)

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or what. If its not, please forgive me, maybe it should be in OT? Whatever. :blush:
My question/problem is this, since I had my son, nearly 10 months ago, I have been having problems with my incision. It healed ok, I guess but I'm still having problems with it.
I had a c-section because I had placenta previa with DS and since the surgery, my incision has itched like mad.
I've mentionted it to the Dr several times and she keeps blowing me off about it. It doesn't itch a little, it itches so much that I'm sure if I didn't have more self control, I could scratch it until it bleeds. It is distracting and all-consuming how much this thing itches.
Another thing is this, I have no history of having keloid scars occur on my body and I have piercings and have had stitches and cuts/scratches, etc before without incident. Never a major surgery like a c-section though.
So, I think that I have this keloid scar and the INSANE itching because I'm having a local reaction to the suture or something that they used to close me up. My Dr. totally blows me off when I bring this up. :banghead:
Her only advice is to put some cortisone creme on it and shut-up (not her words, but that's what it sounds like to me!) She also offered to remove the scar when she delivers my next baby via c-section, but I really wanted to have a VBAC next time. However, I am completely considering abandoning my VBAC dreams *just* so I can get this incision scar cut off my body. I cannot imagine going the rest of my life with this evil thing on my body, it really depresses me!
So my question is this, does anyone else have anything like this happening to them? Am I insane? What should I do??
Thanks for reading this far!

Knittress 05-16-2006 07:53 AM

Re: C-section moms, please help me. :)

Mine has itched like crazy since then. I have heard of *lots* of people having that issue. I know of someone who had a major head surgery (cut across her scalp from one ear to the other like a headband) and that incision *still* itches for her nine years later. For most people that I know... it has eased over time. I would consult another doctor though before going for a repeat section. There may be something that they can do for you.

yellowcampcat 05-16-2006 07:57 AM

mine still itches sometimes 19 mos later, but nothing like what you are describing. I would mention it to another doc - pcp maybe?

SugarBunsWool&More 05-16-2006 07:59 AM

I plan on going to a MW and I want to have a water birth! Having another c-section is like, the last thing that I want. But this darn incision!!
I'm just so miserable. I'm slightly encouraged that yours itches too. :blush: At least I know that it is not just me, and maybe it might be a common thing.
Thank you!

stephdpn 05-16-2006 07:59 AM

I had a friend with this and it ended up that she had some serious nerve damage - maybe that is the case???

SugarBunsWool&More 05-16-2006 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcampcat
mine still itches sometimes 19 mos later, but nothing like what you are describing. I would mention it to another doc - pcp maybe?

I'll do that, I just don't normally see another Dr other than my OB. I'll have to find one. Stupid incision.

1bigfamily 05-16-2006 08:00 AM

My twins are almost 7 months and I still have itching and such with the incision. It sounds like you have more itching but from what you have said it could be bc you are so unhappy with it you are just more aware of its presence. Mine does itch daily but I don't always itch it and bc I don't like the way it feels when I itch it I usually just rub it for a few seconds and them leave it alone. I have a keloid scar too. From what a plastic surgeon told me when I had tatoos removed, the larger the wound the more likely you are to have a keloid scar. I don't know that for sure but that is what I remeber him saying. As far as having it removed, it will bother you next time too. Everyone I know who has had a c-section said that it bothers them sometimes, even years later. I asked my friends bc I was having such a hard time with it at first, really bad itching and pains in it, once I realized that it was going to be like that I stopped worrying about it and it doens't bother me so much. I still would have preferred not to have had it and I definitely don't plan on having another one unless I absolutely have to! You will have to decide if it is worth another surgery in the hope that it MIGHT get rid of the scar. I hope you feel better! :)

SugarBunsWool&More 05-16-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdpn
I had a friend with this and it ended up that she had some serious nerve damage - maybe that is the case???

Maybe so, I do have numb areas around it. There's no telling what's going on down there! I'll check it out with a different Dr.

SugarBunsWool&More 05-16-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirk_heidi
My twins are almost 7 months and I still have itching and such with the incision. It sounds like you have more itching but from what you have said it could be bc you are so unhappy with it you are just more aware of its presence. Mine does itch daily but I don't always itch it and bc I don't like the way it feels when I itch it I usually just rub it for a few seconds and them leave it alone. I have a keloid scar too. From what a plastic surgeon told me when I had tatoos removed, the larger the wound the more likely you are to have a keloid scar. I don't know that for sure but that is what I remeber him saying. As far as having it removed, it will bother you next time too. Everyone I know who has had a c-section said that it bothers them sometimes, even years later. I asked my friends bc I was having such a hard time with it at first, really bad itching and pains in it, once I realized that it was going to be like that I stopped worrying about it and it doens't bother me so much. I still would have preferred not to have had it and I definitely don't plan on having another one unless I absolutely have to! You will have to decide if it is worth another surgery in the hope that it MIGHT get rid of the scar. I hope you feel better! :)

Thanks for your post. I'm happy to know that I'm not alone with this one. Maybe now that I know its happening to other people and even common it will start to bother me less.
At least I can shake off the thoughts that there is something *seriously* wrong with it and that's why it is doing this. :)

1bigfamily 05-16-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RileysMama
Maybe so, I do have numb areas around it. There's no telling what's going on down there! I'll check it out with a different Dr.

I have numb areas too. My friends have also said this is very common! Don't worry, just enjoy your little one! :hugs: