Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   how do you make baked french fries (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62981)

peverroad 11-15-2006 06:47 AM

how do you make baked french fries

well i mean homemade. I have a nifty little gadget that cut potatos curly style. But the only way i can make them so they taste right is to fry them. I am trying to loose weight so i want to use as little fat as possible. I tried to bake them plain the other day and cooked them for like 1 hour and some were done and hard to eat and so were still fresh potato like. Please help

lovebugsmama 11-15-2006 07:15 AM

Re: how do you make baked french fries

If it is the same kind of potatoe curler that we used to have basically the entire potaote is in one curl with a little hole out of the middle. We used to take one end of the potaote and wrap it around to the other end so the potatoe was fanned into a circle then put a toothpick through both end to secure it. That way it would cook evenly. We used to top our with cheese (yummy), but not very diet friendly. You could probably spray it with a little olive oil.

Blackbirdlane 11-16-2006 06:35 PM

I used to take the slices, dip them in egg, then dip them in bread crumbs with some seasonings added to them. turned out really good. I need to make them again.

yellowcampcat 11-16-2006 06:44 PM

I peel and cut russet potatoes into wedges, put them in a bowl and toss them with olive oil and a seasoning blend I got from one of Emeril's cookbooks, then spread them on a cookie sheet and bake them (turning a few times) until slightly golden and tender. I'd say it takes about 40 min.? We like them this way.:goodvibes:

Blackbirdlane 11-16-2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcampcat (Post 459551)
I peel and cut russet potatoes into wedges, put them in a bowl and toss them with olive oil and a seasoning blend I got from one of Emeril's cookbooks, then spread them on a cookie sheet and bake them (turning a few times) until slightly golden and tender. I'd say it takes about 40 min.? We like them this way.:goodvibes:

yeah, I have done it similar to that too. very yummy :mrgreen:

urchin_grey 11-19-2006 05:15 PM

I use organic olive oil spray (Pam). I learned that the hard way when I cooked them plain and I wound up with a whole bunch of mini baked potatoes. :giggle:

mikkismama 11-20-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcampcat (Post 459551)

Do you think this would work for garlic fries? Just put in some garlic powder instead? Or minced garlic? I LOVE garlic fries.

yellowcampcat 11-20-2006 01:51 PM

Sure, and I think garlic would work, and I'm going to try it! I Love garlic-- or maybe garlic and parmesan. mmmm.:mrgreen: