Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Good news for TX BFing mamas! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63009)

lilmama2dsndd 11-15-2006 08:12 AM

Good news for TX BFing mamas!

I got this email from LLL yahoo group and wanted to share:

Greetings!

I just talked with Rep. Farrar's aide and they are preparing to file a bill to strengthen the right to BF statute (THSC 165.002). They hope to file it this week or early next week.

The three changes they plan to make are:

* A mother's authorization to be in a place cannot be revoked b/c she begins to BF
* Add a penalty for repeat violations - maybe $100-$250
* They will try to find some way to educating businesses about the law.

If there is anything else critical that you think should be added (that won't inhibit passage of the bill), please let me know ASAP.

I'll share the language with you as soon as I get it.

Marianne

Marianne Baker Bolduc
Chair, Legislative Committee
Central Texas Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition

Gene 11-15-2006 05:52 PM

Re: Good news for TX BFing mamas!

Do they have an age limit? If not, that's probably BETTER. Shame I left the state...

myajdw 11-15-2006 06:02 PM

i am VERY happy to hear this...as i am in TX !!!!! :happyclap: i think they should do this in EVERY state!

Luke's Mama 11-15-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandalynn (Post 454840)
I got this email from LLL yahoo group and wanted to share:

Greetings!

I just talked with Rep. Farrar's aide and they are preparing to file a bill to strengthen the right to BF statute (THSC 165.002). They hope to file it this week or early next week.

The three changes they plan to make are:

* A mother's authorization to be in a place cannot be revoked b/c she begins to BF
* Add a penalty for repeat violations - maybe $100-$250
* They will try to find some way to educating businesses about the law.

If there is anything else critical that you think should be added (that won't inhibit passage of the bill), please let me know ASAP.

I'll share the language with you as soon as I get it.

Marianne

Marianne Baker Bolduc
Chair, Legislative Committee
Central Texas Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition

Whoa, you live in Arlington?? Me too! :thumbsup: That is so weird because when I was reading this post, I started thinking of my friend who was kicked out of Hulen mall for BFing Ethan there. I guess that probably has something to do with it afterall...I can't really think of anything to add, but I love the idea of the fine!!!!!!

SugarBunsWool&More 11-15-2006 06:29 PM

That's cool to know! I BF in public and haven't ever had an issue AND I live in Dallas!!!
Hello Texans!!! :yay:

lilmama2dsndd 11-15-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke's Mama (Post 456675)
Whoa, you live in Arlington?? Me too! :thumbsup: That is so weird because when I was reading this post, I started thinking of my friend who was kicked out of Hulen mall for BFing Ethan there. I guess that probably has something to do with it afterall...I can't really think of anything to add, but I love the idea of the fine!!!!!!

Really??? We should get together sometime! The only other mamas I know that CD are from my LLL group and I only see them at the meetings.

lilmama2dsndd 11-15-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 456629)
Do they have an age limit? If not, that's probably BETTER. Shame I left the state...

I hope they wouldn't, I'll talk to my LLL tomorrow night at the meeting and see if she knows anything about it.

tanyaandallie 11-15-2006 08:59 PM

That's awesome!!!

swellmel 11-15-2006 09:03 PM

I'm in Bedford!! :wave: I can't believe a mom got kicked out of Hulen Mall for bf. I bf in public frequently. Of course I usually go into dressing rooms when possible but I will not sit on a toilet to bf so if that is my only option other than just bf out in the open I do the latter. I have fed my first dd on a bench in the middle of Grapevine Mills Outlet Mall before and when my second dd was a week old I fed her in one of those massaging chairs at the Parks mall. I even had a security officer come up to me to tell me about the nursing room that they had (which is so nice and soundproof by the way :thumbsup: ) but I had told my party I would be at that chair and didn't want to dissapear on them. :laugh: My experiences w/ bf in public have been civil so it's a shame that mommies do have to put up with such crap. I'd love to meet up w/ other cding mommiew too. :thumbsup:

Luke's Mama 11-15-2006 10:25 PM

Sweet! I'm so excited to find so many local mamas!! It seems like I am hard-pressed to even find any TEXANS on some boards!!! (I just found/posted to the "Texas" thread, btw)

Amanda Lynn, what LLL group? My neighbor is something like the VP of one. (I've never been though) Her name is Rachel "H"...she just had her 4th a few months ago. Know her??

Mel, I've lived in Bedford too! LOL And YEAH I/we were shocked about the Hulen mall thing too! I think it was around this time of year in 2004...the security guard kicked her out and there was a big stink on the news (and message boards LOL) about it...rightfully so, of course!

Oh and just for the record I'm not a CD mama yet :blush: I have ordered a ton of fun fluffies, but they haven't arrived yet! Luke is my 5th baby, but DD is also still in diapers...I've always wanted to try it, but kept thinking we were "done" having kids...now who knows, but even if he is the last, we probably have a good 2yrs left in dipes, so I thought why not!

And HI Dallas mama...I can't see sigs to figure out your name this way. I'm still trying to get the hang of this board. It reminds me of TBW, but I don't post a ton there either...