Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fuzzi Bunz causing diaper rash??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6346)

Ashley 05-16-2006 11:15 AM

Fuzzi Bunz causing diaper rash???

I really love my fuzzi bunz and keep ordering more and more...
Since I started using them part-time about 2 months ago, my son has had diaper rash 2 times and last night he had a small patch of rash so I applied Burt's Bees Diaper rash cream and put him in a disposable for overnight...it looked better this morning.

I do NOT want to stop using Fuzzi Bunz but I'm starting to lose my confidence in cloth. I really think they must feel better to his skin and I just think they're so much cuter than sposies but he never had a rash for his first 9-10 months in sposies.

I used to wash the FB's in All Free and Clear, but kept reading about build up and switched to Sun which is scented. I barely even use half the recommended amount and usually rinse them 2 times to get rid of all bubbles. Could the Sun detergent cause the rash? Am I using too LITTLE detergent? Does All Free and Clear really cause buildup?

Any advice?

my3punkins2005 05-16-2006 11:21 AM

Re: Fuzzi Bunz causing diaper rash???

my son was getting a rash from me useing the fuzzi bunz at night i switched to very baby simply nights hemp with fleece lining with a aristocrat wool cover and put some cornstarch on his bum and we have been rash free since..i also use fitteds and fleece pockets on him at home so his skin can breathe..i also use my fb too as i have like 20 some

9800Emily 05-16-2006 11:25 AM

Yes, All free and clear will cause build up on the FB. You may be using to much detergent. It is reccomended to only use 1/4 the amount for a normal load. Maybe your DS is sensitive to the fleece, or the fragrance in the sun detergent. You could try sports wash from walmart, it is in the sporting goods section. HTH Emily

Prettylocks 05-16-2006 11:45 AM

I find switching detergents everytime I run out to be effective in avoiding buildup. I have been going from TiDE to ALL f&c to sun to Allens. My father gave me that tip- he is a chemical engineer and explained it to the molecular level for me :giggle: .
The last time we had a rash was when a helpful neighbor put 2 fabric sheets in with our diapers (communal washer and dryer). :yuck:

lovemygirls 05-16-2006 11:50 AM

My dd broke out in horrible rashes from the fb's. I tried everything and nothing worked, so off to the FSOT board they went. We're now using prefolds and she hasn't had a rash since.

masonite 05-16-2006 01:02 PM

I would suggest switching to plain old Sun. No scents or anything. In my experience the scented kind can cause build up on the fleece.

Try stripping your dipes and inserts and change your detergent, that might help!

I noticed that my son has never had a diaper rash in cloth. The other day I was stripping all of my dipes and inserts, so I had him in huggies. Blah!! He had a rash after a few HOURS in that!

I :loveit: my cloth! I hope you can get yours to work out!

aimeemarie 05-16-2006 01:40 PM

Hmm, I didn't think that they made Sun in anything plain, do they? Everything I saw at Walmart is scented.

mommyof2girls 05-16-2006 01:47 PM

I noticed too that SUN at walmart came in scents.
I finally broke down and just bought some allen's. not ONE red area since! I though maybe DD was getting sensitive from the fleece too...but not anymore.

masonite 05-16-2006 02:07 PM

They do have Sun in plain! I swear, because I use it! :D

I have seen it (at Walmart and Target) with scents and other added things, but they definitely do carry it with nothing added. That's why I use it. I just went and looked at the box, and it just says Sun. Definitely no scnets, the only listed ingredients are " contains anionic and/or nonionic surfactants"

masonite 05-16-2006 02:12 PM

I was just reading my laundry detergent (Sun) after I wrote that post.

I just realized that it is made and manufactured in SLC, UT. I live in Utah, so I wonder if that is why I can get it and you guys haven't seen it?

I just got on the manufacturers website, to see if I could find a picture or something, but they only had one that didn't really show you the whole thing.

I've also bought the Sun brand of "Oxyclean", called "Sun Oxygen Cleaner". I've used that to strip my inserts and had HUGE success.

If you guys can't find it, I'd be happy to ship it to you. It's so cheap it wouldn't be a big deal. I think a 32 load size (which would last a lot longer with diapers) is about $2.00.

:D