Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   lentils and rice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636097)

*~Mindy~* 01-04-2009 02:58 PM

lentils and rice

this would be a good meal if i added some eggs, right? i mean nutrition wise.
everything i see with lentils seems to be made with pork of some sort, which we dont eat, so im trying to figure out how to do this. what do they taste like?

if yes, which im pretty sure but not positive...
can i cook the lentils and rice together or do i have to do them separate? we dont have enough brown for a meal (nevermind i put it on the counter. we dont have any now :sigh: thats what happens when my 18mo gets left behind in the kitchen when my 3yo gets water and runs out too fast), its white rice, but its regular, not the precooked kind (instant) and i dont have a bag to check the times to see if theyre about the same.

thanks for reading! :D

NatureMama4 01-04-2009 04:40 PM

Re: lentils and rice

I've never had pork and have had lots of lentils. how they taste varies on what kind you get.

Lentils and rice on their own are a complete protein. not sure how one would add eggs, but if you want to go for it. :)

brown rice and lentils would probably cook together well. white rice would get way overcooked. I find pearled barley and lentils do best together. :)

most lentils are 40ish minutes to cook, regular white rice is 20 minutes.

*~Mindy~* 01-04-2009 05:06 PM

well i dumpred them together because my kids were both saying they were hungry and neither are totally done but they were happy to get something. im trying to get them done and give them some more. theyre soft, but not completely tender if that makes sense?

i figured add eggs because adding eggs to rice is pretty good and adds some sort of flavor and texture and yeah the protein, i dont know how much is in rice, just that its in lentils..

i added a little garlic powder, and pepper and it tastes a lot like just rice, like id made biggger grained rice thats slightly creamy when chewed. interesting..

so what else would we need to eat?

NatureMama4 01-04-2009 05:18 PM

that can happen when they're older too. they'll soak more overnight if you have leftovers.

the complete proteins at every meal thing is a myth. you don't even need to combine them daily. it's so long as your body is getting the variety of proteins on a regular basis that matters.

It's kind of like the charm bracelets. if you need a piece you go to the store and get it. if you don't need it, you don't get it. when your body needs x protein it goes looking. as long as you're getting a variety regularly your body will be satisfied.

rosefall 01-04-2009 06:17 PM

Funny, I made rice and lentils for the first time for dinner Friday night; it sounds like you had better luck than I did. Both my rice and lentils had the same cooking instructions so I combined them. They were supposed to cook in 20 min... 1 hour later, they were still crunchy. :) We had something else for dinner and ate that for lunch the next day.

redheadedangels 01-04-2009 06:59 PM

i make mexican rice w/lentils using the hillbillyhousewife recipe. I've never ate pork w/lentils...

Christina 01-04-2009 07:20 PM

If you get some brown rice I love this recipe with brown rice and lentils!
13g of protein per serving!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Inexp...l-Tacos-304604

armywife2002 01-07-2009 03:11 PM

i got a curry recipe off of mdc a while back thats pretty good. saute some onions and garlic. cube some potatoes to whatever size you like (works great with already cooked leftover potatoes) add potatoes, lentils, spinach (i use frozen) a can of tomatoes and a can of cocnut milk. season with curry powder (or whatever curry spices you like) cover and cook til the lentils and potatoes are tender. usually takes 1/2 a hour or so, mostly depends on the size of the potatoes and how much youre making. you might need to add more liquid, so keep an eye on it. i like to use broth, but water works too. serve with rice. yummy

ashtonsmom 01-08-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina (Post 5904539)
If you get some brown rice I love this recipe with brown rice and lentils!
13g of protein per serving!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Inexp...l-Tacos-304604

can this recipe be made with red and green lentils? i dont have brown right now but my red and green are mixed.

Christina 01-08-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtonsmom (Post 5939675)
can this recipe be made with red and green lentils? i dont have brown right now but my red and green are mixed.

I don't see why not but I've been told that red lentils tend to cook faster and can get a little mushy but with the green lentils in there that will help. Plus it's just tacos so you kinda want it mushy right? lol