Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Working Mamas,How Bad Is It? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63646)

Sarah 11-16-2006 05:37 PM

Working Mamas,How Bad Is It?

I just got an offer for a temp,full time job. Yeah the money would be awesome. I'm concerned about pumping so much and what it may do to the nursing relationship. Anybody want to fill me in?

jenncatsmeow 11-16-2006 05:51 PM

Re: Working Mamas,How Bad Is It?

I had to go back to work (I am a teacher, breadwinner, and benefits carrier for my family) when DD was 6 months old. She is now 17 months old, and we're still nursing strong. I don't think it had a negative impact on the nursing relationship at all....in fact, as soon as I get home from work each day we enjoy a wonderful cuddling/nursing session. At first, I pumped twice a day and continued to nurse her right before I left the house, as soon as I got home, and on demand throughout the evening and night. Now that she's on solids too, I only pump on my lunch time.....

The worst part of going back to work.....was leaving her. I cried every day for the first 2 weeks back to work, as I pulled out of my driveway (my husband stayed home with her). This year, back at school, with my husband in Iraq, was also tough, since I had to leave her with a sitter 2 days a week and my mom watches her the other 3. Those 2 sitter days were hard for awhile, until we got into a routine and I see that she loves the sitter.

I wish I didn't have to work and that I could be home all day with my dd, but having an income is important, and I do like my job, and I know that the time she and I do spend together is sooo much more valuable.

mrs endrizzi 11-16-2006 07:01 PM

My daughter is six months old and I just returned back to work part-time. I work at a daycare just ten minutes from my house. I try to nurse her right before I leave, and right when I get home. Even with my Medela Symphony hospital grade pump, I have a hard time pumping enough milk for her. There have been a few days in the last week where I wasn't able to pump at work. Instead, I have to pump two times for her after getting home to have enough to give her.

If you can, record some sounds of your child so you can hopefully let down while nursing. Think of her nursing, think of how it feels when your milk lets down, and bring something that smells like her. The visual of my milk letting down really helps me let down when pumping. I can usually get 3 ounces in one session, and pump again when I get home to add two ounces to that bottle. However, I'm only working 4-5 hour shifts so she really only needs one bottle and then gets some solids until I get home.

Good luck with your decision!

kgsd 11-16-2006 08:10 PM

I work full time and pump. I nurse at home.

I don't think pumping/bottlefeeding has affected the nursing relationship at all. The nursing is going great.

However, if you have a chance, try to stock up some milk in the freezer before you start working. At first, I had an oversupply. But my supply tapered off and now I don't pump enough during the day to feed her. So now I'm very glad I built up a freezer stash (although it's quickly dwindling).

SewWhatMama 11-16-2006 08:27 PM

My company supports bf, so it was so easy for me. I was a nervous crazy wreck going back to work, but I pumped twice a day at work...I fed DS before I left and as soon as I got home. I never had supply issues and he never refused nursing. Go for it!

sammy21901 11-16-2006 10:20 PM

I'm not a WOHM, but I exclusively pumped for one of my twin dd's. In retrospect, the pumping wasn't so bad and you'll be able to balance the pumping with actual nursing sessions. I don't know how old your dc is, but they might decide to reverse cycle and request more nursing sessions at night time. Use a good double electric pump for efficient pumping sessions. Some moms try to stimulate oversupply (fenugreek, oatmeal, lots of water, etc...) to make sure they pump enough during the day.

Good luck!

zaza 11-16-2006 11:03 PM

I have major problems pumping I only get like 2 ounces out total... + My job is such that Any breaks I take the longer I am there.. SO I finish my job.. No pumping for me... We breast feed b4 I leave 2:30 then right when I get home anywhere around 7-9pm he gets a bottle of formula in between.. He then BF all night and morning till I leave again..

whiterabbit 11-17-2006 07:01 AM

I work full time and pump. This is Round 3 for me. It is doable. My 2 older daughters nursed until they were almost 2. I pump twice a day, and it's enough for my son. I do agree to have a little stash so you won't freak out when you have an off day. I also bought extra parts for the pump so I wouldn't have to worry so much about washing.

They all did/do the reverse cycle thing, so I coslept/sleep with them too so I can get some sleep. :mrgreen:

If you have any more questions pm me. I have to go get ready for work now but I'll be back tonight!

Sarah 11-17-2006 04:22 PM

well it looks like I won't be working. Oh I wanted to,but the only place I found with an infant opening thought Taci was too high needs and rejected her. Already my little one has been rejected.

Elphaba71 11-18-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgsd (Post 459757)
I work full time and pump. I nurse at home.

I don't think pumping/bottlefeeding has affected the nursing relationship at all. The nursing is going great.

However, if you have a chance, try to stock up some milk in the freezer before you start working. At first, I had an oversupply. But my supply tapered off and now I don't pump enough during the day to feed her. So now I'm very glad I built up a freezer stash (although it's quickly dwindling).

:yeahthat:

My son is 9 months and I work full-time plus (probably 50+ hours/week). I have to pump for 30-40 minutes to get a good output, at this point usually about 5-6 ounces per pumping session. I can't fit in short breaks at work anyway. I usually pump either on my way to work in my car or as soon as I get to work, at lunch and at bedtime, after my son goes to bed. My son doesn't reverse cycle, and I've never given him formula. He drinks more than I pump these days, but I had quite a bit stockpiled from before I went to work and I pumped more than he needed at first, so that helped. While I wouldn't recommend working full-time while nursing, as a pp said - it's definitely doable. I would recommend if you are at a desk some of the time, invest in a hands-free bustier and use a nursing cover while you pump. People walk in and out of my office all the time while I pump (you can't see ANYTHING but the pump) and I can work while I do it as well if need be.