Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do you live in a NON BF friendly environment? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63719)

zionnecherub 11-16-2006 09:01 PM

Do you live in a NON BF friendly environment?

I am the oddball in my family, everyone thinks nursing is wierd or gross or whatever... (along with cloth diapering, vegetarianism). So I find it difficult enough to BF at all -but I do EBF. I have to go hide in the car, or a room...sometimes the bathroom when in public:blush:. It really sucks. I have tried to NIP, but I get a bunch of crap from DH. I gave up early (after like 6 weeks) with my DD (who is now 4) because of the BF "environment". I really felt bad about it and was determined to EBF my next child. Now little DS and I have been going strong for almost 7 months now. I was just wondering if anyone else has these challenges :headscratch:

MommyMommyMommy 11-16-2006 09:33 PM

Re: Do you live in a NON BF friendly environment?

I've never gotten any crap about NIP. I guess I am in a very BF friendly environment.

I mostly wanted to say - Way to Go! :thumbsup: I'm proud of you for giving the best to your baby no matter what anyone else thinks!

zaza 11-16-2006 10:43 PM

No..I guess not we BF everywhere, I even talk to people (that I don't know) while Breastfeeding

mommy21princess 11-17-2006 12:05 PM

Yep I am!!! My dh had a VERY hard time with NIP and still does too. It hurt(s) my feelings, but I'm almost over it. When she was about 4 months old we were in OHIO for about two weeks. Anyway we went to the mall and dd had to nurse, my aunt told me jsut to sit on the bench and feed her. DH was like NO if you do I'm not sitting by you. Well he didn't and I did. I hated that he wouldn't support me. I was even being covered up. (I personally feel that I should do what I can to be discret, not that it's wrong, but I feel embarrassed when I see someone's bbs and I would rather not put someone else in that situation KWIM?) Anyway since then I have contined to NIP if nec. He has FINALLY come around to sitting next to me about three times. It sucks that we can't get support (especially from our dhs). I'm still having to stand up to him and MIL about continuing to nurse dd after 12months. OH well I'm doing what's best and so are you!! WTG momma!!

jrk 11-17-2006 12:11 PM

I do! It sucks!!! But, I NIP anyway. The first place ever was the McDonalds playland, and then the dr's office. I just don't care. My 2 year old keeps asking why my nephew has a bottle and why he doesn't drink milk from his mommy's boobies. She can assemble my breast pump! I figure by teaching my kids, and hopefully others do too, it will become more accepted. I've 'coached' 2 of my preggo friends to bfing, and they both love it and wish they would have with their other kids.

zionnecherub 11-17-2006 12:14 PM

I know what you mean about being discreet. We were strolling shrough the mall one day (while I was pg with ds) and saw a young mama bfing. She had a wrap style shirt and the whole bb was hanging out. Soo, because DH saw that he flipped out and told me he didnt want me doing that. I would not feel comfortable with that kind of exposure anyway, but he doesnt even like it if I am totally covered, because everyone still knows what Im doing. This world is so perverse:yuck:. I wish there were more sitting areas in womens restrooms, because I can deal with that.

fouradss 11-17-2006 12:23 PM

Good for you Momma!!! Keep sticking it out!

My DH was very supportive, and I didn't have a problem NIP. However, I lost my supply early and wasn't able to nurse as long as I wanted. I do wish that every store was like Babies R Us. I always loved their sitting room. It was so comfy, and quiet. When me SIL and I would go shopping we would plan a trip their to nurse. Plus the door locked so my nephew couldn't escape. He was 2 at the time.

Wendylady 11-17-2006 02:53 PM

My dh is supportive, and my family is supportive but don't understand why I'm still breastfeeding. Ethan is 7 months old now. :rolleyes: My inlaws just know to not bring it up now, since I nursed my first till a year(yes, to them a year is a long time, none of them have really breastfed) More misinformation than anything though, they're more accepting of it now I think because they've seen me breastfeeding both my kids. I'm sure I'll hear comments when I continue to nurse Ethan past a year though! :hehe2:

SugarBunsWool&More 11-17-2006 03:11 PM

I get crap about it from time to time, but my DH is supportive and I'm pretty mouthy so if someone says something to me, I tell them what I think about their nonBFing thoughts and that's about the end of it.
There are times where I'll go into another room or whatever, but I hate missing conversations and I'll only remove myself if the baby is distracted or something.

I get a lot of comments like....'You're *still" breastfeeding him? You *are* going ot wean him before he starts school, right!?!?" :banghead:
Good for you for your 7 months! Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

brees_mama 11-18-2006 02:11 PM

i get lots of weird looks when i bf in public, but so far no comments. if they do theyre not gonna like what i have to say in return!!!! :banghead: