Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   January Angelfood Recipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638167)

zenmama 01-06-2009 08:18 PM

January Angelfood Recipes

Post any recipes/meal ideas that coincide with the January Angelfood Boxes!

I will try to add a few Vegetarian and Gluten Free recipes/options using the food to the thread as dd has celiac and I know there are a few ppl on the board with Celiac as well.

HAVE FUN!

zenmama 01-06-2009 08:30 PM

Re: January Angelfood Recipes

Recipe: BBQ Chicken

Angelfood Ingredient: 4lb Leg Quarters

Also need: BBQ sauce of choice

Wash chicken and pat dry. With a sharp knife, make small cuts in chicken pieces. Spoon barbecue sauce over chicken and let stand for at least 1/2 hour. Heat broiler or grill. Cook about 30-45 minutes, depending on size of chicken pieces.

Baste frequently with barbecue sauce. Test for doneness by pricking chicken with skewer; if juice runs clear, chicken is done. Heat remaining sauce and serve separately.

zenmama 01-06-2009 08:40 PM

Recipe: Apricot Stir Fry Pork
Angelfood Ingredient: 1 pound boneless pork, cut into small cubes
Other ingredients:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (15 1/4 ounce size) apricot halves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
***Glaze***
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon style mustard

Directions:

Cut pork into 3/4 inch cubes; set aside. Mix cornstarch and soy sauce. Add pork; toss to coat. Turn into hot skillet with heated oil; stir fry until pork is cooked, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, drain apricots; reserve 3/4 cup syrup. Mix syrup with Glaze.

Add sauce mixture to skillet; stir until lustrous. Add apricots, heat through.

Glaze:

Combine all ingredients.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Apricot Stir Fry Pork serves/makes 4
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ork65426.shtml

zenmama 01-06-2009 08:50 PM

seriously last one for the night, lol!

Recipe: EASY CHICKEN FAJITAS

Angelfood Ingredient: 1lb chicken fajita strips, White Corn Tortillas
1 1/2 c. water or chicken broth
1 pkg. Ortega taco seasoning (Ortega is GF)
2 chopped bell peppers (red, green, or yellow) (optional IMO)

Cut chicken breast into strips. Simmer strips in water or broth until just about done.
Place in skillet along with 1 cup cooking water or broth, taco seasoning, and chopped bell peppers.

Simmer until chicken is done and sauce becomes thick. Add remaining water or broth (1/2 c.) and simmer 10 minutes.

Ready to eat!

Recommended Toppings: Lettuce, Tomato, Refried Beans, Sour Cream, shredded cheese

adapted from http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1757...248198,00.html

zenmama 01-13-2009 06:07 PM

bump for those who might be looking for this!

CrunchyMama0607 01-14-2009 11:59 AM

the chicken fajitas sound really good-thanks!

zenmama 01-25-2009 05:36 PM

Recipe: Crunchy Pear and Celery Salad

Angelfood Ingredient (from fruit and veggie box): 2 diced Pears, 1/2 cup nuts and 6 leaves of lettuce
Other ingredients:

4 stalks celery, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
2 Tbsps cider, pear, raspberry or other fruit vinegar (nitrate-free)
2 Tbsps honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup finely diced white Cheddar cheese
ground pepper to taste

1. Soak celery in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.

2. Whisk vinegar, honey and salt in a large bowl until blended. Add pears; gently stir to coat. Add the celery, cheese and pecans; stir to combine. Season with pepper. Serve salad atop lettuce leaves at room temperature or chilled.

RebekahG77 01-27-2009 11:22 PM

Thanks for this thread :) I'd love to know how you mamas are planning to prepare your pork riblets!

I made chicken fajita soup tonight!

Angel Food Ingredients: chicken fajita pack, 1/4 bag of pinto beans, onion (chopped), corn tortillas

Also need: chicken broth or water/boullion, 1 cup rice, 1-2 carrots, bell pepper or chiles, your seasonings of choice; I like cumin :)

1. Quick-soak your beans (bring to boil for 2 minutes, then turn off heat, cover and let them soak for 2 hours).
2. Bring beans to a boil then down to a simmer until they're tender (several hours).
3. Add chicken broth or water/boullion
4. Saute your chicken with the chopped onion and peppers.
5. About 15 minutes before serving, add your chicken, veggies, rice, and spices and continue to simmer until rice is tender.
6. Serve with tortillas (if you want to get fancy, cut them into strips, spray with cooking spray, top with salt, sprinkle on some fresh lime juice and bake until slightly crispy)

Fun and optional garnishes: cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, avacado, salsa, lime wedges, fresh pico de gallo, or whatever else strikes you!

If you have leftovers, you can drain off the liquid and use the leftover mixture to stuff burritoes!

jessa209 01-28-2009 10:40 AM

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Angel Food Ingredients: Boneless Pork

Place Frozen Boneless Pork in Crock pot with either 1 can beef broth or 2 cups water and 2 beef bullion cubes. Cook on high for 6 hours.

Pull pork out of crock pot and seperate with fork or fingers until it falls apart.

Place in casserole dish and cover with BBQ Sauce. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Place on bread or roll for sandwich.

Very easy and yummy.

wrapunzel 01-31-2009 08:57 AM

as an adapted pulled pork sandwich....

I put the pork riblets that I got in the AF box into the crockpot with a cup of water and 2 beef boullion cubes. It cooked on high for about 3 hours, and I took it out and shredded it up with my fingers. I was about to put the bbq on it when I realized...hey that looks like the really expensive bbq you buy! I salt/peppered it and served it on buns with homemade white sauce, which is mayo, vinegar, lemon juice, salt & pepper and DH went WILD over it!! :D

That night we had bbq sandwiches, green beans & cajun potatoes - just potatotes quartered into a dish and baked with seasonings sprinkled! Yum!