Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Storing fruits & veggies. Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639407)

mamarae 01-08-2009 08:17 AM

Storing fruits & veggies. Help!

I really want the fruit and veggie box from Angel Food. I usually buy canned/frozen veggies and fruit because storage is more convenient. :blush: but it's a new year and I'd like to start eating more fresh produce... especially at the price. How do you store these to keep them fresh for as long as possible? I really have NO clue and I don't want to spend the money to have everything rot on me before we can eat it. How long do each of these generally last? Wow, I'm clueless, aren't I? :blush: Thanks for your help.

4 lb. New Crop Idaho Baking Potatoes
3 lb. New Crop North Carolina Sweet Potatoes
2 lb. Western Grown Medium Yellow Onions
4 lb. Tree Ripened Navel Oranges
0.5 lb. New Crop Georgia Grown Pecan Halves
2 Tree Ripened Florida Red Grapefruit
1 head New Crop Florida Green Cabbage
1 lb. Western Grown Carrots (cello packed)
4 Tree Ripened Florida Tangerines
4 Washington State Bosc Pears

pbresolin 01-08-2009 09:59 AM

Re: Storing fruits & veggies. Help!

I'm not sure exactly but I would say pretty much all of those things should last several weeks at least as long as they are kept cool or refrigerated.

ashtonsmom 01-08-2009 10:00 AM

i have been using the debbie myer green bags. they have been working awesome for me!!! my produce has been able tokeep way longer!!! they are made from a clay! google them or should I say swag buck them!!! i got mine at walmart up here in canada where the ziplock bags are.

pbresolin 01-08-2009 11:20 AM

Yes, the green bags work great too!

siri-us-raw 01-12-2009 02:17 AM

Everything should last as long as they were shipped, handled and stored properly before arriving to your store and that they are ripe or slightly underripe for the fruit. If you plan your meals around your food and buy most of your fresh foods weekly you won't have a problem with your food going bad... you can also freeze things if you have an excess of something you're not going to eat soon, and thaw it the night before when you decide you're going to eat it. Most of the things you mentioned actually last a long time, but if you don't buy your food for eating promptly you may want to put the pecans along with everything else in the fridge.

I personally buy most of my food weekly or bi-weekly, actually I buy my food about every other day, but I live close to the store and I walk usually. I leave my food out of the refridgerator for the most part, the temperature can affect the nutrients, but if you're not eating it right away it'd be much better to freeze it than have to throw it away.

sarahrichardson 01-12-2009 05:51 PM

if you line your crisper drawers with bubble wrap it will reduce bruising too. I am glad to hear the clay works! I want to try it