Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Raw Milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640475)

newmommy929 01-09-2009 10:16 AM

Raw Milk

Ok, so I have heard a lot about raw milk. I do not drink it now, but I know when I was little my mom and dad use to buy it. I haven't had it to drink for a long time. My question is, what are the benefits of raw milk vs. milk from the store? Is it better for you the the store milk?

I just wanted to ask, as I am trying to become more and more aware of the things me and my family eat and drink. Thank you for your help and I look forward to what you all have to say. :goodvibes:

dogmom327 01-09-2009 10:30 AM

Re: Raw Milk

Check out the website: www.realmilk.com for lots of good info on the topic.

We use raw milk to obtain the nutrients which are lost during the pasteurization process. We also drink raw milk to avoid the potential problems with homogenization. When milk is homogenized, the fat globules are smashed so small that the body no longer recognizes them for what they are and will often attack them as an allergen. So particularly for our children, we want to avoid homogenized milk to at least help prevent milk allergies from developing.

flobee76 01-09-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 (Post 5951243)
Check out the website: www.realmilk.com for lots of good info on the topic.

We use raw milk to obtain the nutrients which are lost during the pasteurization process. We also drink raw milk to avoid the potential problems with homogenization. When milk is homogenized, the fat globules are smashed so small that the body no longer recognizes them for what they are and will often attack them as an allergen. So particularly for our children, we want to avoid homogenized milk to at least help prevent milk allergies from developing.

:yeahthat: There are some weeks when $$ is tight (raw milk is so expensive out here) that we opt for cream-top non-homogenized milk.

Severine 01-10-2009 07:06 PM

Raw milk also tastes immensely better than pasteurized, homogenized milk. It's almost like dessert in a cup! I really didn't drink conventional milk, but I happily enjoy raw milk.

I've been off it for a bit because of cost but I miss it.

HEATHER78 01-10-2009 08:43 PM

Where can you purchase it?

Severine 01-11-2009 06:36 AM

Depends on your state. Some states don't allow the sale of it at all (misinformation breeds mistrust); around here, we can buy it at the health food store and it comes from a local farm. We can also go to that farm directly, but the health food store is closer.

natalier1981 01-13-2009 07:55 PM

It's really hard to find.

Heinens sells milk in glass bottles that you have to shake 'cause it's separated...I am complelety blanking out on what it's called...wow...
:blush:

dogmom327 01-13-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalier1981 (Post 5994586)
It's really hard to find.

Heinens sells milk in glass bottles that you have to shake 'cause it's separated...I am complelety blanking out on what it's called...wow...
:blush:

Non-homogenized :)

natalier1981 01-13-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 (Post 5995454)
Non-homogenized :)

Thanks...I'm an idiot LOL!!!

artemis33 01-16-2009 05:19 PM

LOVE my raw jersey milk. There are 2 farms locally that sell it in the HFSs and at drop points (I get it that way usually - less expensive) but one farm's milk tastes MUCH better. So check around. It is not only healthier but usually much tastier too!