Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Deep Fryer.. change oil each time? And which to use? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646128)

Bee Green Naturals 01-15-2009 09:12 PM

Deep Fryer.. change oil each time? And which to use?

For Christmas DH and I bought ourselves/kids this mini deepfryer. He's a gym buff (aka officer) lol... and I just don't eat deep fry foods much. So we are both clueless on what oil to use and when to change it. Do you put all new oil in each time... seems like such a waste but also can't imagine reusing it.

And what is the best to use that isn't horribly saturated but works well for the kids occassional fries or chicken nuggets and our love of buffalo wings!!! We only have olive oil in the house but don't think it would work for deep frying and would cost a fortune.

TIA!

pitter_patter 01-15-2009 09:47 PM

Re: Deep Fryer.. change oil each time? And which to use?

Corn or canola oil I'd say, I think that's what my mom used as a kid. You don't have to change the oil each time, unless it starts to retain the taste of food. I wouldn't reuse the oil if you cook fish, KWIM?

MinkaK 01-16-2009 02:04 AM

Dh uses vegetable oil. I am not sure how often he changes it though, sorry.

bazora 01-16-2009 03:37 AM

Depends on your taste preference -each one is different. I think DH used canola in his FryDaddy... but we haven't used it in a really long time. If we fry/saute anything it's in a skillet w/ olive oil. :giggle: And I know like PP said he used the same oil until it started to look/taste "dirty".

EmsMom 01-16-2009 03:58 AM

You can easily use thr oil 3/4 times before changing it.

Bee Green Naturals 01-16-2009 02:21 PM

Great! thanks mamas!

LaQuetta 01-16-2009 03:41 PM

As a southern girl that loves fried foods although it is bad for you I will tell you what we do around here. We use peanut oil. It doesnt retain the taste of the foods as bad and is a little better than vegetable oil. Also if you fry fish in it just peel an irish potato and fry in the oil afterwards. The potato will absorb the fish taste so you can use the oil again.

foxygoober 01-16-2009 07:10 PM

Use Peanut Oil . . .it's the best for deep frying. You can use it 3-4 times especially if you strain it.

DH did fry with veg oil and it really made us all have to run to the restroom throughout the day if ya know what I mean.

NataschaN 01-16-2009 08:10 PM

My husband uses peanut oil whe he fries something and never re-uses the oil. We make home cut french fries in it and my hubby fries a lot of fish he catches.