Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler Beds (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64684)

mamamac 11-20-2006 05:54 AM

Toddler Beds

When did you put your kiddo in a toddler bed? My dd is 20 months old and starting to learn how to climb out of her bed. The way she does it, she is seriously going to break her one leg which I would like to prevent.

Did you leave toys in the room? How childproof is it? She still moves all over in her crib, what do I do about blankets?

Thanks!

Mel 11-20-2006 06:50 AM

Re: Toddler Beds

Jonah has been in a toddler bed since 13 months because he was ready to climb out of his crib.

Yes he has a few toys in his room. He doesn't really get up and play with them though. If he does get up it's to get out of the room. Or he might get one toy (usually a book) and take it into the bed. His room is childproofed so I wasn't worried about anything happening to him if he gets up when I don't realize it.

Blankets...Jonah refuses to stay covered. I just make sure he's wearing warm pjs so he doesn't really need a blanket at night.

Good luck!

milniks7 11-20-2006 08:23 AM

my kids were all different but went into toddler beds anywhere from 18 months to 2 yrs...never had any big problems with anyone getting outf bed..i have pretty good sleepers! my 4yo is still in his..i don;t have a lot of room! My oldest stayed in hers til as alomost 6...with 7 kids space is at a premium!

Laniemel 11-20-2006 08:53 AM

Sorry to hijack but I was wondering if some mama's could tell me how long their kids stayed in the toddler beds. I'm debating how much money to spend on one if she's only going to be in it for a year or two.

Leininger27 11-20-2006 09:04 AM

All of mine tranferred out of their crib about 15-18 months. My dd and ds2 didn't sleep in their toddler beds for long.:headscratch: I am not sure what the deal was, but they were in a toddler bed for about 6 months and then wanted a bigger bed. This time around with ds#3 we are moving straight to a twin bed! My ds2 bed we got at Ikea and it is a platform bed and about as high off the ground as a toddler bed. It is awesome! He was very excited about his new bed. He picked out his own new bedding and we have never had any problems with him going to bed.

He had a gate on the door so he couldn't wander the house when he woke up. He has his own toy box in his room so he can play when he wakes up and we have never had any problems!!!

sprout18 11-20-2006 09:21 AM

My boys moved into toddler beds at around 18 months. As soon as we move into a 3 bdrm apartment at the end of Jan we are moving ds#3 to a toddler bed as well. Ds#1 is still in his toddler bed and he's 4 we would probably keep him in it but I think my MIL is giving us the bunkbeds she has so ds#1&2 will move into that and ds#3 will get the old toddler bed. My boys would have stayed in their toddler beds till they outgrew them (probably at around 5) so I think they were worth the money. I got one at walmart for like $60 so it was pretty worth it especially sinceds#3 is going to get the one from ds#1!

christinewith4 11-20-2006 09:21 AM

I think it was 14-18mths on average for us:giggle: .... when they started climbing, etc.

then they STAY in the TB....:giggle: My poor 5 1/2 yr old DS will be 6 in Jan and STILL sleeps in a toddler bed.....

he came to me the other day and said "Mommy...I think my bed is getting small- my feet are at the very edge when I lay down.....":blush:

I have bunk beds in the basement BUT havent gotten around to finding the bolts and getting him a mattress... (11yr DS has a mattress)

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

christinewith4 11-20-2006 09:25 AM

OH! and if anyone is looking for a toddler bed and has a BigLots near by-- I just saw a sturdy looking Winnie the Pooh one there for only $40....:thumbsup:

we have the basic metal white ones we got from the kids resale shop for about $20/each

jls~Kain~Drake 11-20-2006 09:43 AM

Both of my boys moved into a toddler bed at 13 months. The first was just ready for a todder bed and he's done really well. He's 33 months now and sleeps in a full-sized bed in their room. I didn't think my 2nd was anywhere near ready, but he started climbing out of his bed and I was afraid of injury..so he was moved and we just keep a pallet (or a mattress) on the floor next to the toddler bed just in case he rolls out. However, he's finally gotten used to it and does really well. It seems like he's learned how to assess the situation and risk :) If he thinks he can't get out safely, he'll sit and wait for me to come get it (crying, but waiting). If he thinks he can do it safely, he'll go for it and he's usually right :) Oh, and regarding the room being child-proofed. I have no toys in there. But there are 2 small drawer things (like those plastic drawer things you can get from walmart, kmart, target) and one is for socks..and the other has my older sons underwear, shirts, and sweatpants. They don't have a toybox in there at all. All the outlets are covered and for my almost 3yo, there are child-safety doorknob lock things on the room door knob and the closet door knob. Without those, he would refuse a nap. The reason they're on the closet is because we share a closet...if you open his closet, you can go in to the other end and open our closet door and get into our room. We didn't know he had this figured out until 1st thanksgiving (he was 10-11 months old) and we went to check on him napping and low and behold, he was in our bathroom covered in vaseline.

stephdpn 11-20-2006 09:45 AM

My DD went to one at 12 months b/c she was a climber...she didn't like it much and we eventually went to the twin bed. My DS< however, is 20 months and shows NO signs of trying to climb out of his crib, so he will stay in the crib until he does...he is small, so I am not worried. I have a toddler bed for when that day comes. My mom picked it up at a yard sale for $5 - just the standard white metal one. His room is so small we will try to keep him in it for a while...