Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "She'll be a delayed crawler/walker because her diaper is so big"... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647102)

cinderella08 01-17-2009 05:13 AM

"She'll be a delayed crawler/walker because her diaper is so big"...

That's what I've been hearing!! We are using goodmama's on our 4 week old and that's all we hear from our family. "Her diaper is so big -she'll never crawl on time!" "How is she supposed to learn to walk in that thing" "She can't even put her legs together", "She must be so uncomfortable in that huge thing", "That's going to damage her legs", ect....

:banghead:

They have me paranoid now!?!?!? Tell me bulky diapers do not harm babies!!!!!!!

xiri 01-17-2009 05:31 AM

Re: "She'll be a delayed crawler/walker because her diaper is so big"...

I dunno about walking and crawling, but our pediatrician made the comment that our daughter had an advantage for sitting because of her wider base. :)
I was a cloth baby back in the day and my mom says I was a very early walker. I thing that your family may just be poking a little fun at you. Your daughter will be just fine. :thumbsup:
I mean really, my mom's generation was the first to even have access to disposables. Human kind has managed to be bipedal for the entirety of its existence without papmers.

3rockstars 01-17-2009 05:32 AM

Sara wore fitteds and wool or prefolds and wool and she crawled at 5 months, and walked at 10 1/2months. She was also born 6 weeks premature and spent her first 2 weeks in the nicu and then back to the picu for rsv.
Grace was born 7 weeks premature and wears mostly prefolds and wool or pul covers and she crawled at 7 months and walked at 10months.

Bulky diapers do NOT harm babies. Our parents and grandparents learned to crawl and walk okay in their bulky cloth diapers didn't they???:thumbsup:
And besides, gm's will be decidedly less bulky on a baby who is developmentally ready to crawl, sit, and walk than a tiny little newborn right?

3rockstars 01-17-2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiri (Post 6028423)
Human kind has managed to be bipedal for the entirety of its existence without papmers.

I think that should be the cloth diaperers' motto!:roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo:

mum2James&Julia 01-17-2009 05:44 AM

Well, tell that to my dd who crawled at 5 months, and took her first steps at 7.5 months... LOL! In fact, I attribute her to sitting so early (3 months independently) was because she was able to balance on her big cloth bum! :rofl:

Sure the diaper looks big right now because your baby is TINY! Tell them to bugger off, and the bigger she gets the trimmer the diaper will get. Oy!

mlhmrsdds 01-17-2009 05:54 AM

Another CD'd baby here who walked around 10 months.
And i had two who were sposies and didn't walk until 14-15 months!

*Katherine* 01-17-2009 05:58 AM

Complete BS! DD#1 was CD'd from 4 months, crawled at 8 months, walked at 14.5 months. DD#2 was CD'd from birth, army crawled at 5 months and walked at 12.5 months. Cloth has nothing to do with it!

Rhianna'sMommy 01-17-2009 06:00 AM

DD#2 (cloth diapered) walked earlier than dd#1 (sposies). So I don't think the diaper has much to do with their walking skills.

Lucy van Pelt 01-17-2009 06:06 AM

I was actually told the opposite. The grandmother of my friend commented that babies today are at a disadvantage for walking with their "skinny diapers". I have also read that it is important for babies to spend time with their legs "turned out" for proper development - as when they're on their stomachs.

Anyway, my son never crawled the usual - he had this funny, sitting-up crab-crawl that I've only seen one other kid do, and he was walking independently by 11 months, earlier than most of my friends' kids. But the joke was on us because once they're walking, it really gets hard!

cherylchoo 01-17-2009 06:13 AM

#3 wears PFs with doublers almost exclusively and he is cruising just fine at 8MO. I was kind of hoping it would slow him down, no avail!