Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby Signing... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64766)

Mamma Christi 11-20-2006 09:56 AM

Baby Signing...

Do any of you use signs with your baby? And if so, what age did you start this??

MelDM 11-20-2006 10:23 AM

Re: Baby Signing...

Good question! I would like to sign with my daughter. I have heard it is best to start around 6-7 months.

OT - Your son was born on a great day! My birthday!!:goodvibes:

Zan 11-20-2006 10:33 AM

We started with DD at 4 months with the milk sign and at 5 months she was signing back! I was SO surprised because I've heard that most babies usually don't sign back until 8-10 months. As far as starting, many say that 6 months is a good time to start. But I don't think it's ever too soon to start b/c babies that are deaf/hard of hearing or have parents that are start signing from day 1. kwim?

I'm looking for some more resources myself because DD has already picked up on it. I'm looking for basic 1 handed signs to start off with.

Have fun with it!

Ima_to_6 11-20-2006 11:54 AM

We started using signing a few weeks ago with our 14 month old twins. I go to www.signwithme.com to look at the signs and slowly introduce them to the girls.

I have to say that I was a little skeptical at first, but now I am a firm believer in the benefit of teaching sign to babies. One night, Miella woke up and was very unhappy. I usually nurse her back to sleep but that night she would not be calmed. We tried everything, and finally she did the sign for milk. We brought her a cup of milk and she stopped crying, had her milk, and went back to sleep! It was less than 2 weeks since we introduced that sign, their first, before they started to use it.

Good luck!

Termie 11-20-2006 01:22 PM

We started showing him MILK (nursing), EAT (solids or snacks), MORE, PLEASE, THANKYOU, TIRED at about 5m randomly. The only one I was really really consistent with was MILK. Right around the 7m mark he all of a sudden one day understood what I meant. I showed him the sign a week or so before and he didn't react at all. Then about a week later I did the same thing again and he grinned and laid down in this nursing position and made his nursing sound. :) It was REALLY cute!

Around 7.5m he started making the sign MILK when he wanted to nurse. Dh tried to put him in the highchair to see if he knew it was nursing or just hungry. Ds had a FIT and was VERY sad until dh brought him to me. :) heehee :giggle: so the L-O-N-G answer for us is about 7.5m

mother4JC 11-20-2006 01:24 PM

I started with dd this past month and she still looks at me like I am crazy. So hopefully soon she will pick it up.

Mom2Natalya 11-20-2006 06:17 PM

We started signing with DD around three months old. . . she did her first sign, "Milk" at 7 months. People still have a hard time believing me when I say she was communicating with words at 7 months old!
We used a combo of Baby Signs and Sign with your Baby (Joseph Garcia)
She talks up a storm now, but I am still teaching her signs b/c they are easier to understand than her words, which sometimes sound alike. She probably knows 40-50 signs.
:)

I highly recommend it to everyone.

urchin_grey 11-20-2006 06:40 PM

We started when DS was about 6 months but he didn't really catch on for awhile (he has a bit of a communication delay) so we kind of forgot about it. We started again when he was about 11 months and from then on he started catching on QUICK. Now ever since a few months ago, he'll usually learn a sign the first time I show it to him. :goodvibes:

Lunaria 11-20-2006 06:42 PM

I started signing with DS when he was 11 months old. I bought a book and a couple of dvds to start out with since my internet connection is unreliable, to say the least. He's been pretty steadily learning about 2 signs a week. He's a pro at signing Eat, Milk, More, and Bath!

looking8186 11-20-2006 07:01 PM

If anyone needs some FANTASTIC signing videos... www.signingtime.com is great!! The kids I watch love the videos and pick things up really quickly!! Also, in my opinion it is never too early to start signing even when they are tiny you can sign just to get yourself in the habit of it for when they get older

HTH :goodvibes: