Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What to do? Vax question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64794)

4kidzmom 11-20-2006 12:18 PM

What to do? Vax question

I have planned on at least delaying vax's. I am still on the fence if I even want to do them. Well now I hear that there is an outbreak of whooping cough going around and it has me a little panicked. I would feel better if Maddox was older, but with him only being 7 weeks old I am a little concerned.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

ndunn 11-20-2006 01:00 PM

Re: What to do? Vax question

Vaccines are not effective on the immune system until at least 4 months anyway, and until the round of shots is finished (and in IMO, not even then) so really by the time you got the vax, finished the round, etc, he would almost be 6 months anyway, at which time pertussis becomes way less dangerous.

I wouldn't worry at all. Are you breastfeeding?

4kidzmom 11-20-2006 02:36 PM

Yes, 100% breastfeeding.

ce&E 11-20-2006 04:12 PM

I had a very good friend whose two boys got whooping cough one winter. Neither had any vaccinations. The older one was three and was fine but the baby was only about 2 or 3 months and it was just awful. She thinks it was really hard on his immune system and that the effects lasted years. She is very holistic and had lots of help and support throughout the process and the baby was breastfed and the like but she is now pro the whooping cough vaccine. I don't know what age the vaccine starts to work but it may be worth looking into as it is a very real possibility that your child might get whooping cough versus say measles. I don't mean to scare you and I have delayed many vaxs but based on my friends experience we did do whooping cough. This is just my opinion, I'd definately suggest further research so you really know what you are getting into either way.

ndunn 11-20-2006 05:40 PM

Thats assuming though that the vaccine actually works ;)

Remember most kids that get whopping cough these days have been vaccinated fully.

I'm sure the OP's friends situation is a rare one, though valid, yes.

JustAugust 11-20-2006 05:43 PM

We are more than likely going to go ahead and get the Pertussis vaccine. Even if it only gives him a .001% less chance of getting it than if he wasn't vaxed, it makes me feel better.

That and Hib are the ones I am thinking he needs to start on soon. He already had the first two at 2 months. We'll wait longer next time. Ped and DH pressure. GRR.

JustAugust 11-20-2006 05:44 PM

From what I've read, the rates are right about the same. The same number of vaxed kids and unvaxed kids get the whooping cough. But, you never know how many are exposed to it...

9800Emily 11-20-2006 09:48 PM

From what I've read, the pertussis is one of the more questionable vaxs. It hasn't been conformed to reduce the rates of cases, and many kids who are vaxed do get it anyway. It is also a vax that has a high rate of reactions. This is one of the shots that my dd reacted very badly too, (she almost had to be hospitalized) so I am biased against it. IMO I'd rather take my chances with the disease than the vax. At least I know what the possible outcomes from the disease will be if my even gets it. I'd check out the vax boards on MDC and look under the subforums for the pertussis one. There are some good links there.

moonphishers 11-21-2006 12:35 AM

and just to add my :2cents:

IIRC the pertussis vax can't be given alone... unfortunately.

I second the pp suggestion is checking out the MDC boards

good luck! :mrgreen:

4kidzmom 11-21-2006 05:36 PM

Thanks Mama's. I am off to the MDC boards.