Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Making Flavored Homemade Yogurt (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649181)

ourgift 01-19-2009 04:11 PM

Making Flavored Homemade Yogurt

So i have ordered some yogurt cultures and am super excited to get started. Our kids LOVE vanilla yogurt the best, but most of the time it's flavored with just alot of sugar or like products. Any suggestions as to how i can do this in a healthier way, but also some what easy (yep, i am a lazy cook)

dogmom327 01-19-2009 06:45 PM

Re: Making Flavored Homemade Yogurt

I'd use no-sugar jam and if it needs a little extra sweetener, maybe some raw honey.

Bright_Life_Toys 01-20-2009 08:55 PM

I make our yogurt, and lightly sweeten it with honey.

angelnavywife 01-23-2009 11:15 PM

We use vanilla extract and a little agave nectar OR some PURE maple syrup OR just some kind of sweet pureed fruit.

PKat 01-24-2009 11:36 AM

I just add some sweetener (the last batch I used 1/4 cup sugar) to the milk while it is being heated up. Then when it has cooled enough to add the starter (I just use 3tbsp plain yogurt) I add 1tsp pure vanilla extract. I do plan on using a different sweetener but the only thing we have left is sugar right now. Oh and if it makes a difference I used a half gallon of milk and the vanilla flavor it exactly right not too strong.

I want to try some next with almond extract.

zoeh2003 01-24-2009 01:41 PM

I use vanilla and either honey or maple syrup. I also use just some jelly in the plain yogurt.

hona 01-24-2009 03:10 PM

Dh and Ds love it when I mix up a can of pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice and a little bit of sugar. They then add a spoonful or two to the yogurt each morning.

jillyb 01-27-2009 05:43 PM

So have any of you had success with the crock-pot recipe for making yogurt? I tried last week and it was very very thin--1day old fresh from farm whole organic milk too!

ourgift 01-27-2009 07:59 PM

i just finished my first batch from www.culturesforhealth.com, but i missed a step in the culturing process (my mistake, i forgote the last step of letting it set for 6 hours in the fridge) and it turned out not as thick as i would have like, and the taste of the FILMJOLK is not to my preference when eaten plain, but it was great in our dessert smoothy and i am sure will be great with fruit puree for breakfast.

I did save a bit of the culture and will try it again. I also bought the VIILI, and am saving to try that one when we go away on holidays, since i can travel with the dry culture.

It's SOOOOOO easy to make this way, just pour and let sit in a warm place. That is an issue in our house, as it's generally not over 69 in here, but i think i have found a great location, in the cupboard above the fridge.

Heather8183 01-27-2009 08:03 PM

I literally JUST deleted the link I had for flavored Stevia! I mean, like 10 minutes ago! You can google it though, or I just bought some vanilla flavored at our local health food store. It was around $14 for a bottle but lasts forever. Another great thing is, it's flavoring and sweetener in one! :thumbsup: