Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Crock pot beef stew? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649307)

Cloth4us 01-19-2009 06:38 PM

Crock pot beef stew?

I have a really big crock pot and everything comes out terrible in it. Anyone have a good recipe for beef stew? Do I brown the meat first? I picked up a "beef spice pack" for the crock pot, but it doesn't say how big of a crockpot to use with 2 lbs of meat. Any ideas?

paper_girl_76 01-20-2009 09:07 AM

Re: Crock pot beef stew?

I also have a really big crock pot and most
everything also comes out terrible. I assume because they are meant for smaller crock pots? But stew is one thing I can manage to have come out great! I don't brown the meat first but I think it is more flavorful if you do(not sure....). I just throw in the meat, 1 lb of baby carrots, an onion, the seasonings, and then fill the rest of the space with potatoes and fill with water. Always comes out great!!

lucifugous 01-20-2009 08:13 PM

I don't have a very big crock pot, but I notice it is definitely better when I brown the meat! I always use wine in a good stew and add some aromatic herbs in the last hour of cooking.

dogmom327 01-20-2009 10:51 PM

I just toss the stew meat in (not browned) with beef stock, a little red wine vinegar and some spices (salt, pepper, thyme, etc.). Then depending on how long it will be cooking for, I toss the veggies is accordingly so they don't get overdone. I prefer to cook on low for a few hours.

HLCreations 01-21-2009 10:41 AM

I've never done it before (but we are trying it this weekend) you can add a can of Coke to help tenderize the meat... ????

I guess it also makes a really yummy gravy when you use it with the right ingredients.

dogmom327 01-21-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLCreations (Post 6067920)
I've never done it before (but we are trying it this weekend) you can add a can of Coke to help tenderize the meat... ????

I guess it also makes a really yummy gravy when you use it with the right ingredients.

It's the acid that tenderizes the beef. Another way to do it (and the way it was done many years ago) is to marinate the meat in red wine (inexpensive wine is fine). It is amazing!

mom2LBJ 01-22-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 (Post 6064663)
I just toss the stew meat in (not browned) with beef stock, a little red wine vinegar and some spices (salt, pepper, thyme, etc.). Then depending on how long it will be cooking for, I toss the veggies is accordingly so they don't get overdone. I prefer to cook on low for a few hours.

This is how I do it also. I never use water, always broth, even with a seasoning packet. If its too think at the end, then you can always add water after. I also toss my meat in raw and cook on low all day, carrots/red potatoes first & onions/celery last.

The thought of Coke just makes me gag :yuck: we only do a gravy with roasts, stews we eat over rice with the juices as is :drif:

vsolly 01-22-2009 09:52 AM

My beef stew is awesome! I cook it in the big crockpot on low for 6-8ish hours, or high for 4-5 hours. It almost fills the pot so it works well.

I buy a 2ish pound roast, cut into 1ish inch cubes, trim off fat. In the bottom of the crock, mix about 1/4 cup flour, 1tsp dry mustard, salt, pepper, toss the meat to coat with flour mix (just eyeball - no need to measure).
Add in 2 lg russet potatoes, 4 lg carrots, 2 med onions, 3 stalks celery, all cut to about same size as meat. Add 1 can chopped tomatoes w/ juice.
Add 1 lg box beef broth (not sure the exact size), a few dashes worchestershire, 1 packet onion soup mix, 3 bay leaves, 2 cloves minced garlic, and about 1 tsp ital seasoning. Stir a bit, but doesn't need much...

Serve with bread &/or salad.
Invite guests, cuz its that good...
Or freeze half to enjoy next month...
Or eat it all over the next few days, cuz its that good...