Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll - About Lids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650200)

fish3737 01-20-2009 06:55 PM

Poll - About Lids

When you are cooking and you take a lid off the pot. When you put it on the counter do you:

1. Put it down with the handle up
2. Put it upside down with the inside up and the handle underneath

So we were at my in-laws vacation house this weekend. They have a smooth top cooktop. My sister was cooking breakfast and put the lid handle-up on the stove. This horrible vacuum suction thing happened and the lid got stuck - when we tried to pick it up it cracked the entire right side of the cooktop.

My sister and I married twin brothers - so the men went on and on about putting the lid down the wrong way. But old habits are hard to break - because our mom did it handle side up.

$250 dollars for just the glass for the cooktop. Luckily we have handy husbands that can replace it.

FairyBeautifulMama 01-20-2009 07:12 PM

Re: Poll - About Lids

I put it with the handle down. That way juices/water doesnt get all over my counter.

fish3737 01-20-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgrimm (Post 6062922)
I put it with the handle down. That way juices/water doesnt get all over my counter.

That is the way my DH's mom does it too, but my mom always put it handle side up so you didn't burn yourself.

Interesting. .. . The story gets more exciting. I will post the saga in the original post.

L2S2C 01-20-2009 07:23 PM

I do it with the handle up because my handles are weird and there is so way to set it any other way lol It also just isnt a natural motion to flip it

No Boys Allowed 01-20-2009 07:27 PM

I flip it handle-down, so the sauce, soup, condensation, etc. doesn't end up all over. Dh just plops it down -- handle side up -- wherever, making little circular messes on the counter, stove, table or wherever else he absentmindedly puts it. Drives me batty! :lostit:

skurviee 01-20-2009 07:37 PM

I actually either try to prop it against the pan, or I just hold it over the pan so I don't have to put it down at all.

TypeAMom 01-20-2009 07:54 PM

You and your sister married brothers?! Twin brothers?! That's so crazy. I'd love to see a pic. Do your kids and her kids look alike?

ETA: I rarely cook, but it seems like whatever way I put the lid down, my husband tells me that I did it wrong. :giggle: I have a flat stove top and don't think it should be handle up, but sometimes the lid is really hot and handles are for handling. You know? Maybe I'll figure it out some day.

~Laura~ 01-20-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgrimm (Post 6062922)

:yeahthat: Plus, all the heat inside the lid worries me, I'm afraid it would explode.

fish3737 01-20-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinaMae (Post 6063352)
You and your sister married brothers?! Twin brothers?! That's so crazy. I'd love to see a pic. Do your kids and her kids look alike?

ETA: I rarely cook, but it seems like whatever way I put the lid down, my husband tells me that I did it wrong. :giggle: I have a flat stove top and don't think it should be handle up, but sometimes the lid is really hot and handles are for handling. You know? Maybe I'll figure it out some day.

The kids are in my Avi. Mine is the taller of the blondish ones and the baby girl in the back. :)

lucifugous 01-20-2009 08:10 PM

I generally put it handle-down if it is something messy, but for just water or when it's too hot, I don't worry about it too much. Since my answer would be both I didn't vote.