Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Non-nursing tops/shirts question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652401)

whiteisle 01-23-2009 10:00 AM

Non-nursing tops/shirts question

OK, I nursed my DD so I should know the answer but I'll ask anyway because you ladies always have great ideas and advice!

Can you get away with nursing without buying "nursing" tops and shirts? Oh, and manage to not show the flabby belly? With DD I wore the Old Navy tanks and did an "up and over" type move but I had to make sure I had a burp cloth or blanket covering the top so I wouldn't be exposed. Not ideal by any means. I tried nursing bras too but of course I had to lift my entire shirt and let my flab hang out and that's really not ideal, lol.

So I guess I'd like to know what others do if they don't buy specialized nursing tops - I'm mainly balking at the prices and they never seem to fit me right anyway. :headscratch:

Crazy Cat Lady In Kansas 01-23-2009 10:23 AM

Re: Non-nursing tops/shirts question

What I have done was to pick up some knock off bella bands on eBay and use those. They serve multiple purposes. I wore them while pregnant, then after I had my dd I continued wearing them and they offered a little light support which was always nice but they also covered up anything that would normally be exposed by lifting my shirt to nurse. I just use a nursing bra and one of those most days. I can't believe what they can charge for nursing wear, its crazy!

I am also always dealing with shirts being too short so these are nice for a layered look as well and to help cover a little bit more. I may wear them long after I am done being pregnant and nursing for that reason alone. :thumbsup:

mommabritt 01-23-2009 01:34 PM

:blush: This is something I alway shad the issue with.... Long torso, short shirts and after baby belly is not always cute on everyone!!

I have BF all three babes and am still BF DS#3 @13 months. My trick is similar to PP but I actually layer tanks and shirts. I buy the super stretchy, stick to your skin, shirts in long and MANY colors and put them under everything. I can go without a bra even sometimes since they hold everything in place! :thumbsup: And in order to let out the boob, just up with the top shirt, and down with the under shirt. Belly covered and so is cleavage and if baby pulls off you can cover pretty quickly in public places... :thumbsup:

Good luck!

whiteisle 01-23-2009 03:16 PM

Thanks Mamas! Those are some good suggestions! I like the bella band idea - I'm wearing those right now trying to make my regular pants last til warmer weather. It stinks being tall and trying to find regular clothes, let alone maternity, things to wear!

To pp, where do you find those under-type shirts long enough? That might work too. :goodvibes:

CEVmommy 01-25-2009 08:44 AM

I bought some men's tank-style undershirts and cut slits over the boobs. They are long enough that I can easily tuck them in, and they have scooped necks and no sleeves so they don't show up under my regular shirts. Then I just pull up my regular shirt to nurse and my belly is covered by the undershirt. I do this especially in the winter to keep warm when lifting my shirt. In the summer I am more apt to use real nursing shirts to cut down on the layers in the heat.

HaloLady79 01-25-2009 09:14 AM

I don't own a single nursing top. I usually just wear a shelf bra cami under my shirts. Lift my shirt, pull down the cami and viola! my tummy is still covered.

The Fancy Pansy 01-25-2009 10:17 AM

I always wear a tank underneath my shirts, so i just wear tanks that are super stretchy, so I can pull my main shirt up and the tank down. i found these tanks at Rave for $5 each that are super super stretchy. They fit tight to my tummy now, but fit over my gigantic 9 month belly too!! haha. They've been great for nursing.

AshtonsMommy 01-25-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabritt (Post 6091841)
:blush: This is something I alway shad the issue with.... Long torso, short shirts and after baby belly is not always cute on everyone!!

I have BF all three babes and am still BF DS#3 @13 months. My trick is similar to PP but I actually layer tanks and shirts. I buy the super stretchy, stick to your skin, shirts in long and MANY colors and put them under everything. I can go without a bra even sometimes since they hold everything in place! :thumbsup: And in order to let out the boob, just up with the top shirt, and down with the under shirt. Belly covered and so is cleavage and if baby pulls off you can cover pretty quickly in public places... :thumbsup:

Good luck!

:yeahthat: this is exactly what I do! I dont even wear a bra, just use the tank tops with built in support...lol if your tata's are smallish like mine :giggle2:

selisejohnson 01-25-2009 11:26 AM

I agree with pp, I have some super streatchy tanks that I got from a store similar to rave called rainbows for 6 bucks when I was prego. They stretched over my huge belly and fit tight now. I pull my top shirt up and the tan down and it wors great.

RArnold18 01-25-2009 01:37 PM

I just wear shirts that have a "v" neck line and a regular bra... I move the neckline over, pop out the boob and Abbs goes at it! The ones I get are from Target, are cotton and have a bit of lycra in it so it stretches and will retain it's shape (the neckline gets a bit stretched out through out the day but goes back to normal after washing and drying)
I'm to cheap to buy nursing bras and tops...plus finding one that fits right for a 38LL (yup I've made it half way through the alphabet) is hard and very expensive, I had one sales person tell me that I should just have my bras custom made $$$$ !