Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mamas with 15 month olds. What do you DO? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654091)

iggyloo 01-25-2009 12:21 PM

Mamas with 15 month olds. What do you DO?

Hi mamas. We are SO BORED!!! It is frigid here in the Northeast so we are stuck inside alot, and we are getting cabin fever! DD is 15 months old now, and I guess Im just not sure what to do with her at home? I know that she needs more stimulation than she is getting because she seems to be waking up at night with tons of energy. I know that its normal for her age, but I'd like to try to decrease it a little with more activity during the day! lol :giggle:

I'd love to know what you mamas do with your 15 month old!! Tell me what your typical day is like. Suggestions for nutrient packed snacks would be helpful too.

Also, we could go outside, Im just trying to figure out the best way to that in the cold. Im looking to purchase a Beco, but how do you cold weather mamas bundle your babies in a carrier?? I'd love to take DD snow shoeing.

Sorry if I'm asking alot....TIA!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

North Dakota Mommy 01-25-2009 12:54 PM

Re: Mamas with 15 month olds. What do you DO?

Well my son just turned 16 months old, but we are really cold here, too. It's 15 below zero today and it's been a cooold winter. But we go outside when we can, all bundled up, because Thor LOVES outside. He begs to go out all the time. He drags his snowsuit, or his snowboots, or my coat, etc around all the time!
I just follow him around. He just likes to tot around and check out the snow. :)
Inside, we just do normal stuff like play with toys, read books, etc... but I have found it helps to bring him upstairs for a change of pace when he really wants to go outside but we can't. We take more baths, as well, to keep him occupied!
I haven't tried to bring him snowshoeing yet, but I know he would love that! I don't have a carrier that would work for him!! Plus, we are limited with our new little one... she's just too little to go outside.
Sorry that is random jabber but hope it helps alittle.

roxierocks 01-25-2009 01:00 PM

My DD is 15 months old and we are involved in 2 playgroups and also go to skip. We do things like go to the mall play area, Children's museum, Gymnastics, Swim, play areas and also have playdates at peoples house. We do something on most days. I don't know if you have a SKIP program near you but it is great. It's parents as teachers and you go with your child but there is a teacher and they play and do crafts and learn. They also do home visits were they will help you find things to teach your child at home.

1happywife 01-25-2009 01:02 PM

Madelyn is a little bit older but these ideas would still work. We make "forts" with furniture in our living room and a big comforter. She loves playing under them. You can do play dough, paint, color and every now and then you could do "special" activities. Ex. Strip her down and let her play with cool whip or fingerpaint with pudding.

I guess it all depends on what you're willing to do. I know some mamas would think those things are too messy but a little mess isn't a big deal to me. I'm an Early Childhood major and have a ton more ideas. PM me if you'd more.

Swimmingly 01-25-2009 02:24 PM

Rochester has an AWESOME children's museum. I highly recommend it.

steely_cass 01-25-2009 04:16 PM

My DD is 14 months.
I try to read with her 3 times a day. She doesn't have a long attention span so really it's probably just one book at a time.
I let her help me do chores. "Fold" rags, put the silverware in the dishwasher, clothes in dryer, wipe the floor, etc.
She really likes to finger paint. I mix up rice cereal and add food coloring to it.
We are also involved in a mom's group so there is at least one thing for us to choose from each day. We try to hang out with them at least 3 times a week, especially while it's cold.