Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cleaning cast iron (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655130)

amykins 01-26-2009 02:42 PM

Cleaning cast iron

We have a cast iron skillet that we use all the time, but I really don't know the right way to clean it. If it's not too dirty or stuck on, I just scrape it out and dry clean it pretty much. However, if it's a big egg mess I just wash it like a regular pan, which I don't really think is the right way to do it. Does anyone know the correct way to clean them?

Christina 01-26-2009 02:47 PM

Re: Cleaning cast iron

I clean mine with a bunch of kosher salt and a lemon and scrub, scrub, scrub. You'll probably have to reseason afterwards though because it will take some of the seasoning off. I've gotten my cast iron to the point where even eggs don't stick so you might need to season your cast iron a little more anyway :)

Moog 01-26-2009 02:47 PM

As far as I'm aware, the thing to ensure is that it always remains treated with oil/grease. So scrubbing clean with just water after a normal meal is fine, because it doesn't take the oil out of the surface. Sometimes like you say I find it necessary to use regular dish washing liquid, after which I always drizzle oil back over the entire pan and rub some in with a cloth.

I'm sure there are more die hard cast iron people around with better treatment of their pans, but this is how I do it!

amykins 01-26-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina (Post 6120286)
I clean mine with a bunch of kosher salt and a lemon and scrub, scrub, scrub. You'll probably have to reseason afterwards though because it will take some of the seasoning off. I've gotten my cast iron to the point where even eggs don't stick so you might need to season your cast iron a little more anyway :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I need to season it more than I do. Do you reseason everytime?

Christina 01-26-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amykins (Post 6120313)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I need to season it more than I do. Do you reseason everytime?

I semi reseason after each time I use it. I use lard to season mine and after each quick rinse out I dry it over a low flame on the stove top and then add a small amount of lard. When it melts I use a soft cloth to buff it into the cast iron and let it bake in the oven for a few minutes.

ChicanaCoqueta 01-26-2009 03:00 PM

I've always wondered this too... We always wash it/scrub it with soap & water and always heat it up a bit and reseason with EVOO

dogmom327 01-26-2009 03:11 PM

Don't use soap, just water. I normally will brush it out with a some water (I have a brush I keep just for this purpose). If it's really stuck on there, I put some water in the pan and bring it to a boil then brush it off. Afterward I wipe it down with some coconut oil, palm oil or lard (sometimes I have to heat the pan a bit to ensure it's melted).

BargainAmy 01-27-2009 07:25 PM

I use cast iron solely, and I rarely use soap. I usually just rinse and scrub with plain water, then dry over a low flame on my range. Then I use nonstick cooking spray to reseason. My pan has been well seasoned for many years. If I had to completely reseason the whole pan I'd use vegetable shortening.

mauiwith4 01-28-2009 09:15 PM

The more you use it the better it gets.

hippydippymama 01-28-2009 10:34 PM

I never use soap on mine. I just use a wet washcloth and water. Sometimes I have to scrub really hard but it always comes clean. Using soap will ruin the finish.