Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Car Seat Help???!!!?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65618)

goofygirl422 11-22-2006 01:08 PM

Car Seat Help???!!!??

My 2 1/2 year old is only 30 pounds and has been for a while. I am needing to get another carseat because my 8 month old is outgrowing hers fast. The 2 1/2 year old is in a 5 point harness carseat (Cosco brand I think), but the 5 point harness is only good up to 40 pounds. So my question is, how long will it take my 2 1/2 year old to outgrow this carseat???

All advice is very appreciated!!! I would love to see what other mamas have done!!

Cadensmommy 11-22-2006 01:26 PM

Re: Car Seat Help???!!!??

With most seats coscos esspecially she will outgrow it in height before weight, are the straps still at or above her shoulders??

Clarissa

raceNzanesmom 11-22-2006 02:48 PM

agreed!

i would give the cosco to baby and get a taller seat for the 2.5 y/o. check carseatdata.org for measurements. you want the tallest harness slots and back. email me if you need help.

geckoed 11-24-2006 06:13 AM

facing some similar issues here. I have 2 boys hovering at 30lbs. They are still RF in their convert. seats as reccomended by safety experts. But in 3lbs and 6lbs (diff seats) they need to be FF and noth of these are harnessed only to 40lbs. One goes on to be a booster, but the harness is so much safer.
Anyway. The real question was how long till your child is 40lbs? For most kids that happens around age 4. The CDC has growth charts, find your childs growth curve, follow it to 40lbs, and check the age. It will give you a nice estimate and the majority of kids will keep to their curve, thougfh there are of course exceptions.
Now what you didn't actually ask, was what seat to buy. You could get an Apex 65 for about $100 for the 2yr old, and move the 8mo to the 2yos current seat. Otherwise there are Britax and Radian that go to 65. I would definately get the new seat for the toddler and move the baby into the toddlers seat.

momtophr 11-24-2006 06:53 AM

Britax actually goes until 80 harnessed:mrgreen: Oh and we just invested in 2 because my 3.5 year old is 38lbs and my 22 month old is 35lbs. So we went ahead and switched them.

raceNzanesmom 11-24-2006 08:45 AM

The Britax Regent goes to 80 lbs. The Marathon/Boulvard/Decathlon to 65 lbs. Fisher Price markets the Safe Voyage, harnessed to 55 lbs. Sunshine Kids Radian goes to 65 lbs then a booster. It's my understanding they have one/or will have one that goes to 80lbs. Cosco/Safety 1st Apex 65 to 65 lbs then a booster- however, it MUST have head support behind the seat.

If you need to buy a seat I would get the toddler a new one and use the one you have for baby- no question.

Email me anytime if you need help/have questions.

goofygirl422 11-24-2006 12:52 PM

Do you ladies now the price ranges of these carseats you are talking about by chance???

raceNzanesmom 11-24-2006 02:59 PM

Apex starts at around $100-120, Britax runs $230-near $300, Radian around $200. The Britaxes and Radian have pluses over the Apex, but the Apex is do-able for the $$ as long as the vehicle has head support.