Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help! 8 mth old won't eat! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65705)

suziraye 11-22-2006 07:03 PM

Help! 8 mth old won't eat!

My daughter has been eating baby food for the past 3 months. She was eating at least once a day. For the last month or so she has slowly started not eating. She still takes a bottle (although sometimes only 20ish oz a day)
but she closes her lips tight when I try to feed her with a spoon! I have tried every kind of food you can name. She will eat fruit a little better than veggies but I dont know if I just want her to only eat fruit.
All she does all day is try and find things to chew on , but if she sees a spoon with food on it those lips close so tight a piece of paper couldnt get in!
I am still trying everyday but it is sooooo frustrating! WHy has she stopped eating???
**She doesnt have any teeth yet, I am sure they are on their way, and she is growing fine. About 25lbs so I am not worried about that just frustrated!

pinkflamingos77 11-22-2006 07:25 PM

Re: Help! 8 mth old won't eat!

Babies go through stages. Maybe this is one of hers. I know my kids did stuff like that too. as long as she is healthy and growing and there are no medical concerns. I wouldn't worry about it.

mistylaureena 11-22-2006 07:29 PM

If I were you I wouldnt worry about it if shes hungry she will eat...I mostly gave my ds a bottle until recently and hes almost 1, he just wasnt to into food for a really long time he just mostly wanted abottle, and he still ate that and still got what he needed and still gained weight ...I didnt worry to much cuz he was obviously still eating, now if she stops eating all together Id be worried then

GracieGooseSC 11-22-2006 07:38 PM

Kids just don't eat sometimes, she will probably go through this again in her two's, it's nothing to worry about, unless of course she starts loosing a lot of weight. :goodvibes:

RachelFlores 11-22-2006 10:58 PM

Have you tried finger foods with her? Dd refused to eat from a spoon too so we just started giving her finger foods and she loved it. You can give an 8month old rice (it's messy, but one of dd's favorites), chunks of well cooked carrots, over cooked green beans, most over cooked veggies work, small chunks of banana work too. It probably is just a stage like pps said but, it might be fun for her to introduce the finger foods too.

Christinemomof2 11-22-2006 11:20 PM

My daughter is now almost 15 months but she didn't really start eating till around 12 mos. It really stressed me out and I would try everyday just about from 6 months on. All she wanted to do was nurse. I know it is hard but try not to worry. In the end we didn't do babyfood off of a spoon at all because she would refuse it totally. We started straight on really soft table foods. At 8 mos I'm completely serious when I say she ate nothing except bm.

urchin_grey 11-22-2006 11:30 PM

DS started solids at 6 months but from about 8-9 months he didn't really have any interest in them. His dad started getting really worried (and mad) at me until I assured him that it was no big deal. :goodvibes:

worldwarcaitlin 11-23-2006 05:04 PM

My son went through the same thing from around 7 months up til a couple weeks ago. he wanted nothing to do with pureed food, so I started giving him finger foods (I made sure he was ready for them first.)

Pretty much anything she has already eaten can be given in dices, as long as it is soft enough for her to mash between her gums. some of DS's favorites are egg yolks, pasta, kiwi, and banana. within a couple weeks of only giving him finger foods I reintroduced pureed foods to him and he responded better.

Most of his "meals" now are half finger/half pureed.

suziraye 11-23-2006 08:47 PM

thanks so much everyone! It always helps to hear other people are going or have gone throught the same thing!

love2bmom2chris 11-23-2006 10:27 PM

Try Puffs! They are about the size of a cherrio but they melt in the babys mouth so they are less likely to choke. My DD started eating them at about 6 months and loves them! She might just want food that she can chew on!