Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Am I doing something wrong?...(cast iron skillet) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659535)

CarrieAnn0413 01-31-2009 01:28 PM

Am I doing something wrong?...(cast iron skillet)

I think my cast iron is starting to rust :cry:

I bought a 12 inch cast iron skillet about 2-3 months ago. It is a pre-seasoned one. It worked great, the only thing that has stuck is eggs and it was just around the perimeter of the skillet. I have only washed it with warm water and a little salt if I need some extra scrubbing action. If I wash it I always use crisco to season it a bit more. I season it on the stove top. I have noticed now that the center of the skillet is nice, black and smooth but around the perimeter it is looked kind of brownish orange. It is pretty faint, you have to get it in the light at an angle to see it good but I noticed it enough to take a closer look just while it was sitting on the stove top. It is also rougher to the touch in that area. Is this the beginning of rust? I am assuming it is. I read that using oils to season is not the best so I used butter this morning and baked it in the oven, it still looks the same, not that I was expecting anything drastic to happen. If I is rust starting do I have to scrub the seasoning off and start all over? I hope not, that is why I bought a pre-seasoned one. I dont know if this is normal but it always feels greasy to the touch. I have been storing it on the stove because I was afraid of to much moisture getting to it if it was stacked in the cabinet with other pots and pans. We also have a humidifier in our kitchen (very dry in the house this winter) near the cabinet so I wanted to keep this skillet away from it just in case. So am I doing something wrong? Is this what I get for buying a cheap skillet (I think it was $20, have to ask DH to be sure)? What do I do now?

I really want to take care of this skillet, I love cooking pancakes and cornbread in it :drif:

CrunchyMama0607 01-31-2009 02:43 PM

Re: Am I doing something wrong?...(cast iron skillet)

have you been towel drying it after washing or air drying? i suggest wiping it down really good after washing.

i'm not an expert but might it need to be re-seasoned? :)
http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html

kezoo 01-31-2009 02:58 PM

Huh, IDK. I have a pre-seasoned skillet I bought about 3 years ago and mine is fine. I always "wash" w/ a plastic scrubby (used only for this pan) and hot water. I dry it off and then using a paper towel, rub a thin layer of veggie oil over the whole thing and put it away. No rust on mine!

CarrieAnn0413 01-31-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kezoo (Post 6173254)
Huh, IDK. I have a pre-seasoned skillet I bought about 3 years ago and mine is fine. I always "wash" w/ a plastic scrubby (used only for this pan) and hot water. I dry it off and then using a paper towel, rub a thin layer of veggie oil over the whole thing and put it away. No rust on mine!

Do you remember how much you spent on yours? I wonder if that matters in the quality of the cast iron. I am going to try and find my receipt. I cant remember off hand the name of the company.

CarrieAnn0413 01-31-2009 03:16 PM

I dry it off after washing and put a little crisco on it and sit it on a hot burner to cook it in a bit and then wipe off any left over oil with a dry paper towel.

Jillarin 01-31-2009 03:17 PM

Try putting salt and some vegetable oil in it and rub it around with a paper towel and leave it for a day or so, that happened to mine and its good as new. don't use water.

dogmom327 01-31-2009 04:18 PM

I've notices that if I heat the pan too hot for an extended period of time (particularly when there isn't food and I'm just putting a layer of fat on it), It starts to look different around the edges. Maybe try turning the heat down a bit? Cast iron conducts heat really well so usually you don't need the stove as hot as you normally would.

maliroo 01-31-2009 04:41 PM

Hmm... I always put it back on the heat after drying it to make sure it is really dry, then I rub paper towel with oil on it. Sometimes I do not even wash it I just rub it down with paper towel. Good luck!

CarrieAnn0413 01-31-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillarin (Post 6173385)
Try putting salt and some vegetable oil in it and rub it around with a paper towel and leave it for a day or so, that happened to mine and its good as new. don't use water.

Thanks, I'll try that

and the lower heat suggestion too. I am using an electric stove now and still getting used to the temp

kezoo 02-01-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieAnn0413 (Post 6173379)
I dry it off after washing and put a little crisco on it and sit it on a hot burner to cook it in a bit and then wipe off any left over oil with a dry paper towel.

I have NEVER reseasoned mine, or heated it after oiling as you describe. The directions for mine said to just clean w/ water (if needed) and then wipe down w/ oil. It said you only need to bake or heat if you need to reseason. Mine is Lodge brand, and I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond. :)