Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DD has a bad cough - what can I do??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660161)

diaperangel 02-01-2009 09:54 AM

DD has a bad cough - what can I do???

Hi mamas;

my 17 month old has a really bad cough...lots of phlem, and a really deep sound. What can I do for her? The doc says I can't give her decongestant yet, is there any remedies that you know of and would share with me?

To top it off, my DH is sick, and I'm having contractions - we are quite the sight here at our house:yuck:

Mommameyer00 02-01-2009 10:06 AM

Re: DD has a bad cough - what can I do???

Sometimes a humidfer helps the cough or a steamy shower. :goodvibes:

bgb699 02-01-2009 12:28 PM

Vicks on the bottom of her feet, covered up with socks

Sarah's Supermilk 02-01-2009 12:42 PM

Research shows that honey is more effective than cough syrup in children. I usually give mine a spoonful whenever they get a cough. The study was done on buckwheat honey specifically, but I can only find that in the health food store. I've also used clover and wildflower, so I don't think it matters that much, whatever's on hand. I also use a humidifier and it really helps. Hope you all are feeling better soon!

mississippimommy 02-01-2009 06:49 PM

Wow, imo I would definitely give her a decongestant. Talk to your pharmacist. He can tell you how much to give for her weight. We used Triaminic at that age for our dd, but only like 1/2 tsp per our pharmacist.

eljube112 02-01-2009 06:57 PM

you might also want to try elevating her bed at one end. I know that when I am coughing (and we went through this with ds the other week) the phlem gets caught up when lying flat on your back. If she gets coughing she could choke on it. I find for myself it helps to sit up a bit to clear it out and I didn't cough nearly as much.

Poor baby, I hope that she feels better soon! :hugs:

stephaniebrookeh5 02-01-2009 07:00 PM

JUST SAY NO...to overthecounter meds.

We only give tylenol...and sparingly.

You can use Mentholatum...on her chest and back. Right before bed, steam up your bathroom with a hot shower...take her in the bathroom (not in the shower) and sit for 5 minutes...this helps break up the mucus and helps with breathing. Run a cool mist humidifier in the room. And, for next time, get some eucalyptus oil, I put some on a towel/ dry wipe and place it in the pillow case...right where her head is, or underneath crib sheet.

I hope this helps,
stephanie

zacks_mommy 02-01-2009 07:24 PM

I am a pharmacist and I say no OTC meds (excluding tylenol and motrin) in kids under 4! Period. (even in my own kid)
you can do:
lots of fluids (water is just as effective as guaifenesin (mucinex or robitussin) in current studies)
humidifier and elevating the head of the bed is great. ds doesnt like when I do that, so I give him a pillow (he too is 17 months)
sit in the shower with her. I used the sudafed shower soother (sorta like vicks in a dissolvable tablet). you come out smelling like a roasted chicken, but it works
vicks on the chest (they make a baby vicks), but not on the face
past that you need to let it run its course, sorry to say

(oh and if you have a pharmacist who is recommending OTC meds in young kids, get a new one, they are not keeping up on pediatric guidelines)

evamyster88 02-01-2009 08:23 PM

My lo had a bad cough like that and they gave her an inhaler to help with it. Once she got over it we stopped using the inhaler. She was the same age.

shelbell 02-01-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgb699 (Post 6180507)
Vicks on the bottom of her feet, covered up with socks

This is what we all do in our family. I also run the shower on hot only and sit on the floor of the bathroom with whichever kid is sick and let the steam do it's thing. I love the shower soothers too, like a pp said, vicks for the shower. It's miserable when kids are sick!