Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   shipping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6612)

mommymell 05-17-2006 09:07 AM

shipping

Am I just tight or do you think $4+ for shipping on 2 diapers is a little high. This is the cheapest FC.

Changed title because it isn't about just that particular diape now.

LuAnn 05-17-2006 09:25 AM

Re: Swaddlebees shipping

Sounds right if its priority, anything else (parcel/firstclass) I can say that I just shipped 2 sb w/insets out and with dc it cost me alittle over $3, so it depends where its going also.
LuAnn

FitMommyOf2 05-17-2006 09:28 AM

I agree! I think one SB is about 2oz and I've paid ~ 2.50$ for shipping 2 w/FC. But like LuAnn said, it depends on the destination. Either way, 4$ does seem a bit high IMO.

mommyof2girls 05-17-2006 09:36 AM

I guess it's one of those things that is supposed to help covering labels, ink, packaging.
but I've seen some sites with WAY worse shipping costs!!!

Renaissance Mom 05-17-2006 12:40 PM

~~~ Rant Warning! Rant Warning! Rant Warning! ~~~

I'm really tired of hearing about how inflated shipping charges cover ink, packing materials, yadda yadda. When I go to the grocery store, I don't have to pay for the bags my groceries are packed into, nor am I expected to pay the store employee who helps me out to my car. Buying bags and paying the employee are costs associated with doing business. I feel that, unless the packaging is really expensive or specialized for a very fragile item, that the seller should count things like polymailers and labels and printer ink as part of the cost of doing business online.

If a seller just can't bring themselves to foot the bill for that stuff, I'd rather see the cost of a diaper go up 25 cents than have that tacked on to the shipping after I've decided to buy. At least with a slightly higher item cost, I know up front what it's going to cost. I even often prefer shopping at places that have slightly higher prices and no shipping/handling charges, because it's a known quantity without having to go through the whole checkout process to see what the shipping charges are.

~~~ End Rant ~~~

Just my .02 . . . . :mrgreen:

MamaZ 05-17-2006 12:43 PM

$4+ is a little pricey for FC shipping. A flat rate priority envelope is only $4.05 so may as well ship them priority at that rate. But everyone is right, it depends on where it is traveling to.

Mamato2beauties 05-17-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renaissance Mom
~~~ Rant Warning! Rant Warning! Rant Warning! ~~~

I'm really tired of hearing about how inflated shipping charges cover ink, packing materials, yadda yadda. When I go to the grocery store, I don't have to pay for the bags my groceries are packed into, nor am I expected to pay the store employee who helps me out to my car. Buying bags and paying the employee are costs associated with doing business. I feel that, unless the packaging is really expensive or specialized for a very fragile item, that the seller should count things like polymailers and labels and printer ink as part of the cost of doing business online.

If a seller just can't bring themselves to foot the bill for that stuff, I'd rather see the cost of a diaper go up 25 cents than have that tacked on to the shipping after I've decided to buy. At least with a slightly higher item cost, I know up front what it's going to cost. I even often prefer shopping at places that have slightly higher prices and no shipping/handling charges, because it's a known quantity without having to go through the whole checkout process to see what the shipping charges are.

~~~ End Rant ~~~

Just my .02 . . . . :mrgreen:

Just my 2 cents as well ;)
At a grocery store, your profits on items are exponentially higher than on diapers and pretty much everything else a diaper WAHM store will sell. The reason you see only a handful of brick and mortar diaper stores in the US is that reason alone. I mean, a grocery store buys a gallon of milk for pennies, but can see it for over 3 dollars. Your margin is several hundred percent. Just to put it in perspective :)
WAHMs have to work hours and hours into the night to fill orders, reorder supplies, and work on our websites to kep things up to date. We make emergency trips to the post office with cranky children in tow if a customer needs something for a surprise baby shower, and will take time away from family dinners and quiet time with our husbands to make sure a customer is taken care of, or calls to ask about how cloth diapering works. A grocery store employee works a shift with specific hours, but any WAHM will tell you of how she stayed up until 2 a.m. taking care of work, to be woken up at 3 with a sick baby, and still gets to the post office the next day to make sure the order gets out. It is a labor of love, which I wouldn't trade for the world, but to support a WAHM in these efforts, with a few extra pennies towards covering her time and shipping supplies is well worth it :mrgreen:

treecitydiapers 05-17-2006 02:58 PM

Thanks for that Stephanie!

It is very frustrating when WAHMs are expected to eat costs when we barely make any profits at all. I think people assume we make more off the products then we do because some retailers are often under pricing products or having rediculous sales where they don't make money but loose money.

mommymell 05-17-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treecitydiapers
Thanks for that Stephanie!

It is very frustrating when WAHMs are expected to eat costs when we barely make any profits at all. I think people assume we make more off the products then we do because some retailers are often under pricing products or having rediculous sales where they don't make money but loose money.

Ya think this had anything to do with the way Nicole felt.

As for WAHM working endless hours and getting up in the middle of the night. Well, I know they work hard for their money. I am personal friends with 2 that actually sew their diapers. If that is the case add it to the price of the diaper. NOT shipping.

I LOVE WAHM's. Sunshine and Izzy are 2 of my favorite people. So I mean no disrespect when I say this. I get tired of hearing how hard it is for a wahm to make it. Ya know what my money is important too. I don't get up leave my babies every day, come home do house work, homework, baths and all that other stuff for the fun of it. I work to have some money. You chose to be a WAHM. I am human I will look for the bargain. It is annoying when I am thinking I am getting a deal and it isn't so great after shipping is added in. Why is it that people think it is so awful when EBAYERS inflate shipping, but not if it is a wahm? I don't get it.

Never spoke my mind so much in one day.

Mamato2beauties 05-17-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommymell
Ya think this had anything to do with the way Nicole felt.

As for WAHM working endless hours and getting up in the middle of the night. Well, I know they work hard for their money. I am personal friends with 2 that actually sew their diapers. If that is the case add it to the price of the diaper. NOT shipping.

I LOVE WAHM's. Sunshine and Izzy are 2 of my favorite people. So I mean no disrespect when I say this. I get tired of hearing how hard it is for a wahm to make it. Ya know what my money is important too. I don't get up leave my babies every day, come home do house work, homework, baths and all that other stuff for the fun of it. I work to have some money. You chose to be a WAHM. I am human I will look for the bargain. It is annoying when I am thinking I am getting a deal and it isn't so great after shipping is added in. Why is it that people think it is so awful when EBAYERS inflate shipping, but not if it is a wahm? I don't get it.

Never spoke my mind so much in one day.

Actually, my post had nothing to do with Nicole. I was responding to an earlier post about a reply on shipping costs. I appreciate bargain hunting, Lord knows I clip enough coupons to fully appreciate a good deal :) I was merely commenting on the comparison between a grocery store and a WAHM store.