Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Many + Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662885)

4dramamama 02-04-2009 12:11 PM

Many + Multiples

So I was wondering about multiples? How did you get yours?

I've read about how to increase your chances of having multiples and wanted to know your experiences.

Rollins4 02-04-2009 02:02 PM

Re: Many + Multiples

I chose because of family history only, since both mine and dh sides have multiple sets of twins and mine have 2 sets of triplets. I was under 35, have 2 singletons and no fertility issues. :goodvibes:

4dramamama 02-04-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollins4 (Post 6213448)
I chose because of family history only, since both mine and dh sides have multiple sets of twins and mine have 2 sets of triplets. I was under 35, have 2 singletons and no fertility issues. :goodvibes:

Thank you. That's beautiful!

I'm sorry to everyone if my questions are a little personal. I don't mean to pry. I am seriously just curious. I just had #4 in October and the thought of multiples in my future (my odds are increased by being a multipara mom soon to be 35) makes me giddy, then dizzy, then a little loco!:mrgreen: :giggle2: :lostit:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am also NURSING which apparently increases our chance of multiples if I conceive at this time.

So if you were nursing when you conceived multiples and you want to let me know that ... Thanks.

rkirkeby 02-04-2009 03:15 PM

There are apparently lots of multiples in my moms family....I had no idea until I got pregnant with my girls. Also my BMI at the time I got pregnant was 29 :blush: and supposedly if your BMI is 30 or higher that will increase your chances. So I don't know if it was just because of the family history or if my BMI had a part in that too. Off topic, but my BMI is now 22...these girls have sucked the fat right off of me :giggle:

NAK

Rollins4 02-04-2009 10:44 PM

I was nursing :) And was a little chunky:giggle:

And I don't think you are being to personal at all!!:hugs:

mommyfrog 02-05-2009 08:17 AM

Hmmm....how would one go about increasing her odds of having multiples? I don't think I'd want to, but maybe my SIL. I voted 6+ and no multiples. I really wish my last one was, so I wouldn't have to be pregnant again to have an even number.:blush: My sister got pregnant with quadruplets when she was on birth control but missed a few days, then went back on for a week or so, felt weird and went back off. She did a test which was positive, but started bleeding after a few weeks, so went in. They did an ultrasound and told her she was losing a baby, but there were still three in there. Sadly, she lost another one a week or so later, and the last two a week or so after that. They really thought the last two might hold on because they had heartbeats by then, but they didn't. So sad.:cry: I got pregnant shortly after that and then she did too, 8 weeks after me, with only one.

mammaof?? 02-05-2009 10:52 AM

i definitely did not try to conceive multiples- this is my story:

we had 3 kiddos and i was mourning the fact that we were "done" and that i would have an odd # of kiddos and we found out we were pregnant again. by the 4th pregnancy in a short period of time, 4 years, i was already 25% more likely to have a multiple pregnancy. couple that with the fact that i am tall and was 34, i totally chalk it up to statistics. my father did disclose that his great grandmother gave birth to several (5 or 6) sets of twins, with only one child surviving. we have no idea about DH's family as he's adopted, but I believe from my research that it really only follows the woman's genetics- I could be totally wrong on that one of course.

now, having consecutive sets of twins in a short period of time (2 years) totally throws everything off, but i still believe more in statistics than genetics.

i also have this tattoo, it's a precolumbian symbol for "the life cycle" which in layman's terms, means i have the fertility frog on my shoulder. who knows if it has ANY bearing whatsoever on the situation- i think NO, b/c several of my friends have the same tattoo and no multiples- but it's a funny story to tell, given i have so many kiddos.

so that's my story- not sure if it's helpful or not. :giggle:

KaylasMomJenn 02-05-2009 10:55 AM

Not only do twins run on my side of the family, but we used Clomid to get pregnant.

sapphire6 02-05-2009 11:03 AM

My grandfather was a twin, it seems to skip generations in my family. Funny enough, both my sisters wanted twins, I never did. Out of 17 grandchildren for my parents, I have the only twins.:goodvibes:

kristinc 02-05-2009 11:20 AM

Fertilty meds and ivf here...although we only put back 3 embryos one of those embryos decided to split on its own and that is how we ended up being pregnant with quads.