Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eczema getting worse, and suggestions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66574)

SarahJane 11-26-2006 05:21 PM

Eczema getting worse, and suggestions

Hi, our son has really bad eczema on his hands and legs and elbows. Cortizone helps, but I'm hoping to avoid using it all the time. Anyone have any experience of what might help him. I'm trying luke warm baths, followed by lotion and he sleeps in cotton. He's allergic to milk so we avoid that. His hands are bleeding they are so sore..... :cry: Anyway, just thought I'd ask.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 11-26-2006 05:26 PM

Re: Eczema getting worse, and suggestions

i hope this helps, get some cheesecloth ad pour aotmeal inside and tie it close, fill up the bath with warm water and toss the bag in, the moisturizers will come through the cloth and into the water. after the bath is done toss the cheeclth bag with oatmeal, no fuss:) goodluck mama

Sarah 11-26-2006 05:26 PM

have you tried Elidel(sp?). Taci's ped prescribed it for her eczema and it helps when we need it

JustAugust 11-26-2006 05:34 PM

I had two kids with Ezcema that I've cared for. My husband has it BAD, but he's a whole different story. For the two kids, Gentle Naturals Baby Ezcema Cream, applied 3 times a day, works for them. But you HAVE HAVE HAVE to get it on three times a day, otherwise it doesn't work. It doesn't say that on the directions, just what I've found to be true for both Autumn and Landon. And some kids may even need it on more times. But after about 3 days, you should see a dramatic improvement, but keep it on all the time and they won't get bad again.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 11-26-2006 05:35 PM

ooh i forgot about elidel, that stuff works good too, it does have pregesterone(sp?) i think is what it said in the ingeredients, but it works. my dh used to use that stuff..i would call your dr tomorrow and ask about it,:hugs:

JustAugust 11-26-2006 05:36 PM

Oh, wanted to add, I knew a mom that put TONS of vaseline on her sons hands and put socks over his hands when he slept, that cleared them up over night. Then you can start with something else daily. Though, I can't imagine many kids would like sleeping like that, I sure wouldn't.

BunnyMcFluff 11-26-2006 05:56 PM

My sdd has it horribly. She uses aveeno lotion twice a day and it's cleared up several spots on her.

whiterabbit 11-26-2006 06:01 PM

We've used Aquaphor on dd after her baths. Also, she only takes a bath every other day. we just wipe her down on the other days.

jls~Kain~Drake 11-26-2006 06:37 PM

The only thing that helps my son is cetaphil. A little bit goes a long way, so I was applying it..basically every time he got his diaper changed or every time he would go to the bathroom (after being potty-trained). Helps tremendously, fairly quickly.

For The Love Of Cloth 11-26-2006 06:55 PM

We fought with eczema miserably, using all the above lotions and meds, until finding out thru trial and error that my ds is allergic to soy.

I would suggest ruling out allergies-both environmental and food if you can.

We use burt's bees banana hand cream on ds or even just plain jojoba oil or pure coco butter stick (Palmer's brand at the drug store). Many of the lotions we were using had soy, and others with the petroleum products there's mixed reviews on how good they really are for you.

Hope things get better!