Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   baptized? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66738)

Mommy2Nick&Luke 11-27-2006 09:49 AM

baptized?

did u baptize your child when they were born or shortly after? i still havnt and wont do it for that matter due to the fact that hubby is diferent religion than me and fhis mother keeps saying shes just gonna do it and im like no u will not i dont want him done......i just have different beliefs about doing it when hes older and letting him chose what do you think please help

RobinOK 11-27-2006 10:23 AM

Re: baptized?

Yes, Mason and Tanner were both baptized as babies. I'm Lutheran and dh is Catholic and we both believe in baptizing infants and reconfirming the baptismal vows when they are older and go through confirmation classes.

MommyMommyMommy 11-27-2006 10:30 AM

I am LDS (Mormon) and we don't baptized until the age of 8. We beleive that all children are born innocent and baptism occurs at an age where they can be accountable for their actions.

For infants, they are given a special blessing where they receive their name and a blessing (prayer) for good things in their lives. This is also so they can be recorded on the records of the church.

Good luck making your decision!

jkelstaten 11-27-2006 11:21 AM

We only dedicated our girls. Similar to what Hannah from the Bible did with Samuel. The church prays over them and the family.

When the child is old enough to make the decision for themselves and know why they want to be baptized then they can be baptized. It's a different age for every person since not everyone is ready for it at the same time.

Severine 11-27-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMommyMommy (Post 480863)
I am LDS (Mormon) and we don't baptized until the age of 8. We beleive that all children are born innocent and baptism occurs at an age where they can be accountable for their actions.

I like that a lot!

I was raised Roman Catholic and it never sat well with me that babies are supposedly born with original sin that needs to be cleansed with Baptism...I thought that was supposed to be forgiven by Jesus' sacrifice (crucifiction and ressurection)? KWIM?

In any case, no, DD was not Baptized or Christened. I no longer consider myself a Christian, and DH did not have strong feelings on it either. Then again, I don't believe in a hell either so I guess that would color my feelings on this anyway.

Hayley 11-27-2006 11:28 AM

WOW! If my MIL or anyone for that matter EVER tried to baptise my children I WOULD BE PO'D!

MamaJo 11-27-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkelstaten (Post 480999)
We only dedicated our girls. Similar to what Hannah from the Bible did with Samuel. The church prays over them and the family.

When the child is old enough to make the decision for themselves and know why they want to be baptized then they can be baptized. It's a different age for every person since not everyone is ready for it at the same time.

Same here :goodvibes:

Manna00 11-27-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMommyMommy (Post 480863)

For infants, they are given a special blessing where they receive their name and a blessing (prayer) for good things in their lives. This is also so they can be recorded on the records of the church.

Very well put. We're LDS also and DS had a special blessing when he was a younger baby... but he won't be baptized until he's 8 years old, or when he chooses to do so. :)

MelDM 11-27-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkelstaten (Post 480999)

Us too. Although I am not attending church now so my daughter wasn't even dedicated. But I was when I was a baby. I was baptized when i was 13 and made the personal choice to do it.

My MIL keeps bugging me to get our daughter baptized as well. I don't think she realizes she can keep bugging me and bugging me and it's not gonna happen!!

momtophr 11-27-2006 11:38 AM

We also dedicate. And then when they are older they can make the choice for baptism.