Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daily Chat Threads (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   B2B - Back to Basics "Why are these pink?!" Tuesday (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667503)

maman08 02-10-2009 01:58 AM

B2B - Back to Basics "Why are these pink?!" Tuesday

:reaction: Crap. Crap, crap, CRAP! :reaction:

Okay, so hopefully one of you dye-savvy mamas can help me, because in case you couldn't tell from the title and the first line, we've had a dye-related tragedy. I traded for some LWI pfs, and they got here yesterday. They were a bit pinker than I expected, but no biggie. I washed them by themselves last night, and then today washed them again with a half load of dirty diapers. Now, every single one of the diapers I washed them with is pink. And not just a little bit pink. I'm talking bubble-gum, Pepto Bismal, Barbie pink. :cry: :banghead: :cry: :banghead:

Is there anything I can do? I'm rewashing my diapers (sans the dyed ones) with a scoop of OxiClean now, but I have little confidence that will fix them. And what do I do with the dyed ones? Is there any way to fix the dye now, not knowing what they were dyed with or anything? Should I make them into cleaning rags? I'm so mad -- it ruined one of my nice unbleached toddler pfs and a receiving blanket flat that I loved (Carter's flannel, with the little frogs on it). :brat: :fit: :hairpull: :gah:

ETA: I'm really not angry with the mama who sent them to me...I don't know that she knew they would bleed, and I don't really want the things I traded her for back. She seems really nice, and was super sweet and helpful through the whole trade process. I'd rather just deal with the diapers now that they're here.

ETA: Oops, it's Tuesday, not Wednesday, isn't it? I should just go back to bed. :giggle:

siriusmama 02-10-2009 02:08 AM

Re: B2B - Back to Basics "Why are these pink?!" Wednesday

No clue on the dye but I couldn't read without giving you some :hugs:

Macyllehub 02-10-2009 02:15 AM

I too have no advice.... but I wanted to say I hope you find a way to fix them... so sorry hon.

oh yea... and you scared the life out of me. its 2 am in Idaho, and your title says Wednesday - I was like - WHAT! did I seriously miss the girls peds appt, and dance class yesterday?!?!?!? lol

maman08 02-10-2009 02:28 AM

Thanks mamas. I know they're just diapers, but I'm still upset. There was a recycled flat that I made out of one of my dad's old military uniform shirts that has a lot of sentimental value, and now it's pink. :cry:

I also wanted to add, before anyone suggests them, that I can't get RIT or "color grabbers" or any of those fancy things here. I could order them, but in the week or two it would take them to get here I could probably just learn to deal with pink diapers. So what I have access to includes white vinegar, bleach (liquid nonchlorine, regular chlorine, and OxiClean), a little bit of Borax, baking soda, and detergent (Tide, Simply Clean, and Arm & Hammer F&C). That's about it. I just checked them after their run through with Tide and OxiClean, and no change. I think next I'll try doing a presoak with 1/2 c. Borax, then wash with another 1/2 c. Borax and some Tide or A&H.

Oh, and it's all cotton (pfs and flats) except for one hemp flat, so no elastic or PUL or anything to worry about ruining.

MaMaMeA4 02-10-2009 03:00 AM

Re: B2B - Back to Basics "Why are these pink?!" Tuesday

Heidi - so sorry to hear about the diapers. Hopefully one of the dyeing mamas will be on in a few hours to give you some advice.

I was just going to start a thread - Traumatic Tuesday. I'm not ususally up at this hour. But dd1 has thrown up twice, ds1 is up because he's having bad dreams, dh is wiped out still, ds2 decided he needed to nurse since everyone was awake, and dd2 didn't go to sleep until almost 10pm last night. I'm going to be a walking zombie tomorrow!

MaMaMeA4 02-10-2009 03:05 AM

Ugh - ds1 just came out and said his tummy hurt!

maman08 02-10-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaMaMeA4 (Post 6268731)
Heidi - so sorry to hear about the diapers. Hopefully one of the dyeing mamas will be on in a few hours to give you some advice.

I was just going to start a thread - Traumatic Tuesday. I'm not ususally up at this hour. But dd1 has thrown up twice, ds1 is up because he's having bad dreams, dh is wiped out still, ds2 decided he needed to nurse since everyone was awake, and dd2 didn't go to sleep until almost 10pm last night. I'm going to be a walking zombie tomorrow!

Ugh, ss you're having such a rough night! Hopefully you can finally get some rest, and maybe even sneak in a nap tomorrow?

MaMaMeA4 02-10-2009 03:28 AM

On a funny dyeing note. I have some diapers that were dyed for us - and they ended up dyeing dd2's bottom! I called her Ely Bluebottom for days :roflmbo:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...om12-08002.jpg

This probably isn't going to make you feel any better Heidi - but some of her panties are still blue from where they were put in the wet bag with the dyed diapers.

MaMaMeA4 02-10-2009 03:29 AM

Make that round 3 for dd.

MaMaMeA4 02-10-2009 03:31 AM

Dh stays at home "in his office" on Tuesday and Friday mornings - so as soon as it quiets down here, I'll be crawling back to bed. Then hopefully he can manage to get dd2 some breakfast - and maybe ds1 if he doesn't get sick. I'm just :pray: that it's not the bug that's been going around town - but just something she ate.