Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ever heard of a baby being allergic to BM? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66924)

christinewith4 11-27-2006 03:28 PM

Ever heard of a baby being allergic to BM?

I know it sounds riculous, but I had a mom tell me a while back that she couldtn BF b/c each of her kids was allergic to BM....?:headscratch: :spit:

Thats not even possible...is it?:giggle:

The most I could think of would be something in moms diet that didnt agree with the baby....

Sarah 11-27-2006 03:30 PM

Re: Ever heard of a baby being allergic to BM?

yeah my MIL tells me that all the time. With her it was more like the kids were sensitive to all the nicotine in there.
I don't think a baby can be allergic to BM,but could be allergic to something in it

MamaMel 11-27-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WearingTaci (Post 482000)
I don't think a baby can be allergic to BM,but could be allergic to something in it

I baby can be allergic to something IN the BM but not the BM itself

christinewith4 11-27-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WearingTaci (Post 482000)
yeah my MIL tells me that all the time. With her it was more like the kids were sensitive to all the nicotine in there.

:laugh: That sad...funny, but sad....

annes_cottage 11-27-2006 03:34 PM

:spit: :laugh: :smiley_haha: :mrgreen:

Sorry!! But that does sound rediculous. I agree with the pp...they can be allergic to something mama eats, but I don't think the BM. Like peanuts....then the mama needs to not eat peanuts while nursing.

supermomelisa 11-27-2006 03:36 PM

Yeah, BM is made specifically for the baby, so it cannot cause an allergy, unless there is something the mother is ingesting that can come through the breastmilk and be a possible allergen to the baby.

CourtneyinAlaska 11-27-2006 03:37 PM

It's really super rare but can't baby be allergic to something in the bm like lactose (something not diet related)? I think the PKU covers it. Rare but very serious.

CourtneyinAlaska 11-27-2006 03:45 PM

from a google search for pku and breastmilk. possible but rare. hth!

The initials "PKU" stand for phenylketonuria. This is an extremely rare genetic disorder where a person has a deficiency in the liver enzyme phenylalanine hydroxylase. This enzyme is necessary to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine which is found in most foods. If a baby cannot metabolize the large amounts of phenylalanine found in breast milk and most formulas, metabolites will accumulate in the blood. If this disorder remains undetected and untreated, infants may experience tremors, seizures, eczema, hypopigmentation, hyperactivity and a failure to grow and develop at a normal rate. By six months of age, the untreated infant with PKU may begin to show signs of mental retardation and could eventually have an IQ of less than 50.

When an infant is tested soon after birth and is found to have PKU, proper treatment can prevent the development of these serious complications. The treatment involves a very restrictive diet low in phenylalanine. This diet should be implemented as soon as the PKU disorder is detected to achieve the optimum outcome. Since an infant with PKU cannot metabolize breast milk or regular formulas, he must be given a special formula such as "Lofenalac" which is specifically designed for babies with PKU. As the child grows older and begins eating other foods, the parents must carefully calculate and strictly limit the amount of phenylalanine in his diet. This is a difficult diet to follow because phenylalanine is found in very large quantities in high protein foods and in varying amounts in most other foods.

Fortunately, the incidence of this disorder is only 1 in 10,000 to 12,000 births.

elijahsmama 11-27-2006 03:48 PM

My DS is allergic to soy, anytime I have any, he starts to have a eczema outbreak. As long as I stay away from it he's fine. I too agree with PP they can be allergic to somthing in it. As long as you take the time to figure out what it is and make sure you eliminate it the baby is usually fine. Although I had heard that in Rare cases like Courtney said the baby cannot tolerate it very rare from what I understand.:thumbsup:

firethorn 11-27-2006 03:49 PM

Oh yeah.... God goofed again.
Lets not take the responsibility on our selves.
Just sounds lazy to me. And selfish.
But its MO. :giggle: