Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670378)

3 ladybugs 02-13-2009 09:33 AM

Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

My grandmother had 5 children. One died early on but the other 4 she says she never nursed. It is so strange for me to talk to her because for me I assume that formula didn't come around till maybe the 60's and she had her last child (my mother) in 1957 (her first was around 1945). So when I am talking to her she is somewhat clueless as to the trials and tribulations I am going through (all normal).

I get the impression that the only person that breastfed for longer then a few weeks in my family was my cousin (who admittedly is a bit of a black sheep in the family).

Does anyone else have a grandmother or someone that they are close to that you would think would have breastfed but never did?

My grandmother says that with here first she gave her diluted (with water) milk. Can you imagine just giving a child cows milk under a year? :yuck:

nrsenadenos 02-13-2009 09:38 AM

Re: Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

I'm not sure how long my grandma nursed for. I remember talking to her about my BFing problems and she mentioned how my dad was a big baby and she couldn't keep up with his needs (9 lbs at birth 6'8" as an adult) and she put him on solids at a month old.

My MIL gave my DH cow's milk as an infant. She was a single mom and couldn't afford formula. He's lactose intolerant now, but other than that healthy.

Tootsiemomma 02-13-2009 10:02 AM

I'm the only person in my family who has nursed longer than a few weeks. I bf my daughter for almost 3 years, until I got pregnant with my son and at 4 months along my milk dried up. And yeah, I get a lot of heck about that from my family.

My Gramma never nursed, they had just come out with formula when she had her babies and said that all the doctors told them it was better for the babies. Even my Great Grandma only nursed one child for less than a few months. I believe she used goat milk and or evap milk.
David's mother didn't nurse either, David was on formula and his brother was on goat milk.
Even David's ex wife didn't nurse their twins, she said she didn't want to ruin her breasts...whatever...

My cousin bf her first son for 3 days and gave up. My friend didn't even try with either of her two kids, and my other friend gave up on both her kids after a few days.

My mom bf only me for 6 weeks, but gave up because my father wouldn't allow her to put me directly on her breast, she had to pump and give me a bottle and with 2 kids and a full time job, she didn't have the time.

Terra 02-13-2009 10:06 AM

My grandmother had 10 children and did not nurse. I think Formula started around WWII maybe [at least the big influx of it] because of all the women going to work. There maybe have been "formula" before that, people making there own as well but i don't know the official history.

I think I'm off to google it now!

ETA: I found this article: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Histor...Milk&id=267012

HeavenlyHold 02-13-2009 10:09 AM

My grandma is 83 and had 3 children and she never nursed either! Neither did my mom...I was the first!

MsBurrows 02-13-2009 10:09 AM

I'm pretty sure neither of my grandmother's breastfed. Though I guess it's possible my dad's mom breastfed her younger children. Dad was raised by his grandmother though. My mom said her mom never breastfed (she had 7 children within 8 years). I've seen pics of her giving a bottle to a newborn also.

My mom did breastfeed me and my sister. But not my older brother. She breastfed us mostly because they were broke and breastmilk was free. I have no idea how long she did so though, because the longer I breastfed the longer she said she breastfed, up to 6 months, lol.

Most people from my family did not breastfeed though.

this_mel_rocks 02-13-2009 10:09 AM

I do. Neither one of my grandmothers nursed. :(

Mommy2LivandNoah 02-13-2009 10:10 AM

My Grandmother on my Father's side didn't nurse at all..she said the Dr. told her, her milk was "bad"...

My grandmother on my Mother's side only nursed each of her kids 6 weeks before going back to work.

Not much nursing history in my family sadly...my mom and aunt are the only ones who really nursed any of their children..

foxynursejo 02-13-2009 10:28 AM

this is an interesting discussion. ill have to ask some questions! its got me wondering now.

FernHollow 02-13-2009 10:43 AM

I am the only one in my family to nurse for more than a few weeks since my great-grandmother's time. It is totally different on my DH's side of the family though. His grandmother on his mom's side nursed all 4 of her babies at a time when no one else did :wub: Because of it and because she advocated it all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren have been nursed. :mrgreen: