Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vaccines and Autism (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67104)

camomof5 11-28-2006 07:12 AM

Vaccines and Autism

Can anyone tell me what Vaccines they are thinking causes Autism? I firmly believe that my son has ASpergers and I think that vaccines caused it (still trying to get to a dr for diagnoses). He was diagnosed at age 3 with ADHD. I am thinking about avoiding the shot(s) that they think are linked.

melbear 11-28-2006 08:39 AM

Re: Vaccines and Autism

It has been a long time since I did my research, so someone else may be able to answer this better than me, but here goes....

There are a few theories on the Autism-Vaccine connection. The most popular is that thimerosal - a preservative used in vaccines - causes autism. Thimerosal cotains mercury (50% by weight? I think?) and mercury poisonining has the same symptoms as Autism. Thimerosal is no longer used in newly manufactured vaccines. It is in the flu shot, I think? For awhile Dr's were allowed to use up their supplies of vaccines that contained thiimerosal. There is another theory called "leaky gut" - something about the MMR vaccine and the digestive tract. Others feel that giving so many vaccines at once overwhelms a childs immune system and causes damage.

http://www.autismwebsite.com/ARI/vaccine/vaccine.htm has a lot of info. on Autism and vaccines

My oldest son is autistic. He was vaccinated. We are delaying vaccines for our other children, just to be sure :).

Hayley 11-28-2006 09:16 AM

Bumping in hopes you can get more answers!

jjaelovesenglish 11-28-2006 09:31 AM

Google Dr. Stephanie Cave and that should at least give you some more answers you are looking for. FYI ADD and Aspergers can go hand in hand. I have a nephew with Aspergers that has both, and he is now in his 20's

camomof5 11-28-2006 11:03 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/child-sc...olor-print.pdf

Boy they get poked a lot :yuck:

camomof5 11-28-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

There are a few theories on the Autism-Vaccine connection. The most popular is that thimerosal - a preservative used in vaccines - causes autism. Thimerosal cotains mercury (50% by weight? I think?) and mercury poisonining has the same symptoms as Autism. Thimerosal is no longer used in newly manufactured vaccines. It is in the flu shot, I think? For awhile Dr's were allowed to use up their supplies of vaccines that contained thiimerosal.
So I should probably ask for the Thirmosal free Vaccine

Quote:

There is another theory called "leaky gut" - something about the MMR vaccine and the digestive tract. Others feel that giving so many vaccines at once overwhelms a childs immune system and causes damage.
This one they get when they are a bit older so I have time to think on that one.

iamweiser 11-28-2006 02:31 PM

When my son was 4 mos we saw...differences. My sister said I should avoid the MMR because of the "link." What I have found is this:
Children recieve the MMR at 18 mos of age.
Developmentally children have a lot of markers to hit at 18 mos. Even if a child seemed "typical," suddenly at 18 months it is noted that the child is behind. Even for me, who noticed my son could be autistic by 11 mos of age, 18 mos to 2 yrs was the real eye opener. That was when we really sought help and even a diagnosis. I have discussed the link with doctors and they told me the same. My son has been fully vaccinated. I feel that avoiding the many diseases that are out there is important. The fact that mumps is making a comeback and even rhuebella (gee, did I spell it right? LOL) is scary. I live too close to Mexico and poorer populations, so the risk of these diseases and others (Like Hep A) is greatly increased.
And, after being vaccinated, we did not notice my son worsening. He just continued. He is autistic. And we deal with it. I do not do flu shots (personal preference more than anything). My kids don't get the flu every year. We deal with our allergies and asthma and that's it.

Hope some part of this helps...

GrandIsp 11-28-2006 02:47 PM

I believe that the biggest one to avoid for the theorized autism link is the MMR. Even those that are said to be thimersol free are not completely free, in my understanding. Also, flu shots can contain thimersol, although you can ask for ones without (but again, maybe not completely t-free). I work with families who have kids with autism. Most of those parents that believe there is/was a link to their child's diagnosis and their vaxes tell me not to vax at all. There are some theories about all of the different vaxes together being an 'onslaught' on a little one's system, and if that little one has a predisposition, autoimmune issues, etc., one or a combo of several vaxes might be the last straw that 'triggers' the onset of autism. It is still in theory mode, and much of what I have heard is anectdotal, meaning I hear it from parents who already have kids with autism and they are emotionally involved. But it's really hard for me to ignore. We are delaying all vaxes at this time. I just don't want that to be one more thing hanging over my head. HTH!

JustAugust 11-28-2006 04:13 PM

Where's Carly? Urchin_Gray or whatever that screen-name is... I always can count on ditto'ing her. lol.

I don't believe any one shot causes Autism. There was one single study that proved it did and it was done completely wrong, teeny sample sizes, etc.

That said, I believe many shots in a young child can overload their little systems and if he/she was predispositioned to getting Autism, that can push them into it.

iris0110 11-28-2006 05:29 PM

I personally do not believe that any vaccine is a safe vaccine. Even thirmaresol free versions still have some of the preservative in them. Also remember that mercury is not the only known neurotoxin in vaccines, there is also formaldihyde(my spelling sucks), alluminum (liked to alzheimers) aborted fetal cells, monkey kidney cells, and bovine liver serum to just name a few. I am also a believer that it is a toxic load issue, not one particular shot that does it. My oldest has PDD NOS. I know that things changed right after his 18 month shots (MMR and DTaP) and while in some ways I blame the MMR in particular (he shows all the characteristics of MMR induced encephalapathy as has recently been documented by the AAP) I think it also has to do with all of the toxins that had been injected into his body over the entire first 18 months of his life. I believe this is what set him up to react, and it is these affects that we are fighting now. With treatment for vax reaction he has been making great strides in recovery, something that the traditional medical field can't seem to explain, after all one cannot recover from Autism. Ds2 is not vaxed at all. He is 12 months now and totally normal. We are watching apprehensively for him to cross the 18 month threshold, but I do believe that he will continue to be normal.