Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   cd washing!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6723)

contemplation31 05-17-2006 01:45 PM

cd washing!!

Hey all! It's me again,,,with yet another q :blush: !
I've read several threads on washing cd's and things like using baking soada, vinegar, sports wash, some kinda drops, lol, detergent build up, hard water,,,etc, etc :loony: !! Can any of you let me know how you all wash your cd,,,everything!? From soak to the line?! Especially how you mama' in cold winter climates dry during the winter months. Kinda hard to hang out your diapers in 20 degree weather,,,unless you want cdipcicles :yuck: !

raceNzanesmom 05-17-2006 04:04 PM

Re: cd washing!!

I dry everything in the dryer except Mother Ease covers (they yellow) and any nylon pull on covers we have. Everything else gets tossed in the dryer on high for 90 minutes. I hang dry some in nice weather. If I HAD to line dry inside our laundry room is plenty big, so I could hang clothesline if needed.

My routine with hard water, super size top loader, 25 m/o, various dipes:

Spray poop off with the mini shower
Everything goes in a dry pail
Every 3-4 days I dump it all in the washer, XL water level, hot wash, extra rinse
1/4 cap All or other F&C (thinking of trying something else, didn't like scented detergents or Sportwash)
Toss in the dryer as above
About every 4th load I've started leaving the inserts in the washer and re-wash with a tiny bit of bleach (maybe 1/8 C.), rinse three times (one with wash, two extras), toss in the dryer with everything and dry. This is cutting down on the stink I was getting with ds's inserts and night time dipes. I haven't found a way to sanitize dipes that can't be bleached (I have a lot of hand dyed).

In hard water I wouldn't use baking soda or vinegar. The only time my dipes repelled was when I tried Sportwash. Calgon water softner made my fleece STINK. Just using All F&C worked from maybe 6-8 weeks till about 18 months. Then I started getting the major pee stink that the bleach has helped with.

HTH.

blondeviolin 05-17-2006 05:42 PM

I've read that you should keep it really simple if/until you run into issues and then you can start adding the baking soda, tea tree oil, vinegar, etc. This is what we plan to do:

A cold soak to remove any stinkies. My washer has a presoak :). Then a hot wash with a tablespoon or so of Sam's Club brand detergent. Following the wash, our washer has a cold rinse. The FB website says that should be enough to rinse out all the stuff, but I'm sure I might be skeptical a few times and run an extra rinse. Pockets are usually mostly dry by the time they spin out, so hang those to dry and toss the inserts in the dryer. (Though, when I prewashed everything I put the pockets in the dryer on HOT to seal the waterproof layer.)

I know that most places you buy from or brand of diapers will have their own recommended way of doing it. In fact, FB and bG both come with washing instructions on their tags. LOL :hugegrin: Sarah has great information on washing at her site here: http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/laundry%20basics.htm

StormySar 05-17-2006 05:51 PM

I throw everything in a long hot wash with 1/8 cup of Shaklee's Basic-L laundry detergent, cold rinse, dryer and done! No build up in diapers or the washer, I get clean, bright and clean-smelling diapers. The basic-L works fine in hard water too. Safe for us - which is important considering my baby spends almost 24/7 in a diaper, I want ot make sure that whatever I use will wash out!

rowynne 05-17-2006 06:32 PM

Everything into diaper pail as is...no dunking/swishing/spraying & thats 16mo old poop!

XL load size, Cold wash & spin, hot wash & 30min soak (its auto on my power wash cycle), in hot wash I use either 1/2 cap sportwash or washing soda with simple green. Washer does a power wash followed by a power rinse, sometimes I do an extra rinse, everything except covers into the dryer.