Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   advice after tonsillectomy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672530)

luvmyfluff 02-16-2009 06:40 AM

advice after tonsillectomy

Hi mamas. I am in need of some advice from those of you who have been there, done that. My (4yr. old) son had a tonsillectomy/adnoidectomy last Monday (so it's been a whole week already). He's still in pretty bad pain, to the point of tears at times. He was in the ER on the Wed. following the surgery because he was dehydrated. The pain had gotten out of control and they gave him morphine, finally 8 hours later they got it back under control and since then I've been religious about giving him his pain meds EVERY 4 hours. He's taking Tylenol 3 w/ codeine.

My question is this, I know it takes a while to recover, sometimes a couple weeks. But is this much pain normal a week later? Shouldn't he be getting gradually better? Or is it one of those things that they are miserable for quite a while and then one day they feel so much better?? I know a few people who have had this procedure done and most of them have said that they recovery was pretty fast, like wanting to eat and drink pretty normally within 3-4 days. For one person it took a month to recover but that was because she had asthma too and it aggravated the healing as well as reopening the wounds (not our situation, thank goodness). He's not bleeding at all.

I just don't know what to think, I hate to see him suffer :( Any words of advice? Thanks so much!!!!

Laura

luvmybaby333 02-16-2009 08:44 AM

Re: advice after tonsillectomy

Wow mama... that always sucks :(

My ODD had the same surgery done when she was 2. I know her appetite wasn't huge, but I don't remember lots of pain and misery. (But then again, she'd had chronic ear infections for first the first 9 months of her life, and 2 prior surgeries for ear tubes... so she was pretty pain resistant.) I know it gets worse the older they are, but I don't know that it would make that much of a difference between age 2 and age 4 :headscratch: When I had mine done at 21, it was awful.

I think he should also be on some sort of ibuprofen to keep the inflammation down. Did they not recommend anything like that?

Also, from experience i wanted to let you know that things you'd *think* would help, often hurt. Ice cream and milk shakes HURT. The salt in them burned like anything.

I really don't know what to suggest. I guess I'd call the doctor and ask if you should also be giving him some ibuprofen (alternating with the tylenol.) Just make sure he gets LOTS of water... the less he eats and drinks, the worse it will be :(

I hope your little guy gets to feeling better soon!

Mommameyer00 02-16-2009 12:31 PM

Awh mama.

I had my tonisils out at 26 and can tell you it took me two weeks to FULLY get where I could eat somewhat normal again. 3-4 days to be up and about again seems to early to me. It's a quite painful surgery and recover. The pain med's burn when they go down and makes it harder to take them until the scabs are fully formed too.

I thought I was okay and tried to make it to work one day. I ended up fainting out in my drive way! :yuck: The pain should start to slowly stop within like day 8 then so much the next day, etc. I was still taking regular tyenol for the mild pain the 2nd week for me. I am not usually one to take pain meds or even tyenol but I had too this time. My husband was even on me to take it every so many hours cause I was so stubborn.

kimir_98 02-16-2009 12:38 PM

So sorry mama!! I just went through this same thing with my 4 year old as well. I have to say that the 2nd week was so much harder/painful for him than the first week. I was told that the only thing I could do was Tylenol or his prescription Tylenol with codeine. I know that for my ds, the codeine burned liked crazy. I ended up just sticking with the plain old Tylenol instead. Also lots of ice and ice water. That seemed to help more than anything else!! He did not want to eat ice cream at all! He is going in this week for his 4 week post ob and he is finally now 100%. I was in shock that it has taken so long! I thought it would be an easy recovery since my parents told me that when I had mine out at 5 I was fine by the weekend. I hope he feels better soon!!

eljube112 02-16-2009 12:42 PM

sorry mama that he's having such a hard time. My friends 8yo had this surgery a few months ago and I remember him having such a hard time for the first 10? days because it took that long for the anesthetic to leave his system. He wasn't eating or drinking or himself at all and was complaining of pain all the time.
I know it hurts to see him hurting, but sometimes there isn't much you can do. Keep him as comfortable as you can and try to keep him hydrated. You might be surprised how fast he turns around.

luvmyfluff 02-16-2009 02:34 PM

Thanks so much! I called the Dr. this morning after he woke up crying. One thing I had thought of was that when I check on the regular Tylenol dosing chart, he weighs 47 lbs and the dosage for a 48 lb. child goes up to 2 tsp. from 1 1/2 tsp. This isn't the first time he's been on the "high end" of the chart and wasn't getting a high enough dosage. Sure enough, the Dr. agreed and told me to up the dosage to 2 tsp. and to alternate w/ regular Tylenol. Why didn't any of these Drs. or nurses tell me before that codeine burns?? :yuck: I got him to take the 2 tsp. and half an hour later he was asking for bread and gatorade and pudding......

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can help keep his pain under control and it'll only be a few more days!

Who'd have thought that ice cream hurt, thanks for that advice too. Pudding has been a hit though :thumbsup:

Laura

Laura